AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 281324 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #630 on: May 30, 2008, 02:09:07 am
So... without giving anyone a heart-attack, what is Punaji? Er... well, was, Punaji.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #631 on: May 30, 2008, 02:09:40 am
Does anyone know why Punaji hasnt been restored yet? I know David wanted to close it, but the community didnt seem to be in favor, whats going on? Anyone talked to thei'in the know' crowd?
David's just being a lazy bum I think. At least that's what was implied when I talked to him last.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #632 on: May 30, 2008, 02:37:23 am
So... without giving anyone a heart-attack, what is Punaji? Er... well, was, Punaji.

it's another pixel board with a smaller but more dedicated userbase (in the sense that the same person would typically move from one personal thread and crits to the next without as much "down time" as you find around here), and because the userbase is smaller, most people there are familiar with what most others around them are doing recently.  I don't know what it's relationship to pixelation is, whether it was an offshoot, unrelated, or somewhere in between, but it is a younger board and most of the punaji crowd are somehow or another also known here.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #633 on: May 30, 2008, 07:11:57 am
Looking forward to Rhythm Tengoku GOLD this summer.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #634 on: May 30, 2008, 12:42:47 pm
In other news, I read some 19 year old gamer was just made Mayor of Muskogee, Oklahoma. That is effin' awesome in my book. Apparently, he was running against some old 70 year old fart. Hopefully, this kid will bring some positive light back into politics.
Yeah I heard about that.
I haven't read into it, but I'd put my money on he isn't that much of a gamer.. the press will just be trying to make people panic and setting the ground work in case he messes up
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:45:44 pm by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #635 on: May 30, 2008, 03:27:22 pm
As for beyond good and evil 2, i wouldn't be too concerned about them street credifying it too much. The teaser was quite colorful for a desert anyway and pigs are supposed to be dirty. What little it showed about Jade, she looked the way she used to be.

It's not so much about color, but about the ridiculous "stubble and pore" approach that's so popular with 3d modeling these days (propagated in part by Pixar). It's the fastest way to make something look unappealing and uninspired. Often it serves as a distraction from the piece lacking fundamental principles like composition, contrasting forms, negative space, etc.

The new prince of persia is quite colorful and stylish with the halfway toonshading and stroke around the characters. Creeping evil black stuff is getting old i think, but we'll see. Oh and the concept art is spectacular.

Gahhh, I hate Ubi and all they represent. The designers probably pitched this game wanting to make a Square Enix clone, but management wouldn't green-light it until they slapped one of their licenses on it. The character design is ludicrous -- scarf and vest with a bare chest is an atrocity worthy of the Akihiko Yoshida. With a little Ninja Gaiden thrown in. Ubi's notorious for copying off other art directors.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #636 on: May 30, 2008, 11:28:53 pm
I'm guessing it isn't coming back up: " Please send all inquiries regarding purchasing this domain to people@punaji.com "
Such a shame. Was a good site.

In other news, I read some 19 year old gamer was just made Mayor of Muskogee, Oklahoma. That is effin' awesome in my book. Apparently, he was running against some old 70 year old fart. Hopefully, this kid will bring some positive light back into politics.

But... I loved punaji. Someone get him on the line.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #637 on: May 31, 2008, 02:46:49 am
As for beyond good and evil 2, i wouldn't be too concerned about them street credifying it too much. The teaser was quite colorful for a desert anyway and pigs are supposed to be dirty. What little it showed about Jade, she looked the way she used to be.

It's not so much about color, but about the ridiculous "stubble and pore" approach that's so popular with 3d modeling these days (propagated in part by Pixar). It's the fastest way to make something look unappealing and uninspired. Often it serves as a distraction from the piece lacking fundamental principles like composition, contrasting forms, negative space, etc.
I don't think it's a "distraction" as such, I think it's just a logical progression. Games began with broad strokes and a lot of implied things, and as the technology's progressed the more minute and vestigial things are added. I'm not instantly instilled with hatred when it occurs but it's definitely a case-by-case thing.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #638 on: May 31, 2008, 04:18:42 am

I don't think it's a "distraction" as such, I think it's just a logical progression. Games began with broad strokes and a lot of implied things, and as the technology's progressed the more minute and vestigial things are added. I'm not instantly instilled with hatred when it occurs but it's definitely a case-by-case thing.

i don't think it's progression so much as cyclic.  all trends go back and forth (remember in the 90's when we were all like look at those retarded tight pants our parents wore and how we never would?).  there will always be outliers and there will always be change and it wont always be what we like :\
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #639 on: May 31, 2008, 10:46:49 am
Mgs4 is forcing me to get a ps3. I can't resist the temptation  :P