AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278958 times)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #310 on: March 06, 2008, 10:11:21 am
But such words or pictures can be harmful to little children, and they would grow to think that 'black' or homosexual people are baadd.

bollocks.  they should learn to form their own opinions anyway.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #311 on: March 06, 2008, 10:13:46 am
Jesus, are people still having this conversation? Mice has the right to make stuff that is kind of offensive. And cave has the right to be offended by it. You can't advocate free speech for some people and not for others. Cave didn't censor mice, mice censored himself. Nobody's rights have been violated.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #312 on: March 06, 2008, 10:33:53 am
bollocks.

I give up, please dont hurt me.  :'( :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #313 on: March 06, 2008, 11:00:01 am
Let's have a makeout session to lighten the mood :-*

GAHAHAHAHa sign me up for that  :D  :lol:

bah, I'll pass - my best friend and I just discovered that there's something extremely depressing about hooking up without a romantic attachment to each other.  Oh well, fun while it lasted.

That's a useful piece of knowledge, yes.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #314 on: March 06, 2008, 02:09:35 pm
But such words or pictures can be harmful to little children, and they would grow to think that 'black' or homosexual people are baadd. So I think freedom of speech can and should be limited to prevent this.

If everyone spoke up their mind, alot of people would get wasted.  :(

Isn't that why kids have parents?
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #315 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:44 pm
Any kid can go to the internet. And their parents might not necessarily watch what they're doing every second. If at all.

PS I love your works.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 02:56:14 pm by leroy »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #316 on: March 06, 2008, 06:10:38 pm
Believe it or not, children have been hearing a lot of errant or hateful opinions for as long as humans exist and the world keeps on turning...

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #317 on: March 06, 2008, 06:39:54 pm
I like total freedom of speech because then I know who to make scathing remarks at. >:D

Anyway, attempted change of topic: Who likes climbing trees? :crazy:

Also holy crap these new smileys are so damn fun to use for some reason. I COMMEND SNAKE. :)
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #318 on: March 06, 2008, 06:41:31 pm
i hate political correctness.  i think people should say what they want, whether it be it racist, sexist, or homophobic, as its a matter of opinion and what's the point in free speech if you can't express your opinions.

in my country we can get thrown in jail for racism, how lame is that?  "you can have free speech, just only on certain topics."

Hmm, i don't think they're being put in jail for saying such things, but rather for thinking such things. It's a punishment for doing something wrong, so that they learn from it. Of course, it would be better to be helpfully taught what was wrong about their actions - rather than being shoved into jail so they stew in their own hatred until they're released.

However, if a man said he hated a group of people an incredible amount, so much that he says he'd kill them on first glance, you'd try to stop him from doing it, wouldn't you? Rather than to wait until he commits to his beliefs, therefore giving you a better reason to put him in jail.

So yeah, people should be able to voice their opinions, but if someone voices an opinion that is destructive to the community or even themselves and their intelligence by them continuing to think that, they should be taught otherwise.. right? To a certain extent, depending on situations. Err.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:45:44 pm by Larwick »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #319 on: March 06, 2008, 10:22:32 pm
However, if a man said he hated a group of people an incredible amount, so much that he says he'd kill them on first glance, you'd try to stop him from doing it, wouldn't you? Rather than to wait until he commits to his beliefs, therefore giving you a better reason to put him in jail.

Innocent until proven guilty is how the western world likes to say it plays. You should be able to go ahead and say in public that you're planning to kill the president of the united states, God, and 3,000 jews and have no legal retribution other than perhaps being watched by the secret service or a case file or something.

Thought doesn't equal action. Speech doesn't equal action. Intent doesn't equal action. Be very careful with that mode of thinking of yours, because it leads down a very slippery slope.

So yeah, people should be able to voice their opinions, but if someone voices an opinion that is destructive to the community or even themselves and their intelligence by them continuing to think that, they should be taught otherwise.. right?

Who are you to teach people that their opinions are 'destructive to the community, themselves and their intelligence'? They might have reasons for believing in what they do which might differ from yours or the status quo's but cannot be disproved. Whereas I say 'I fundamentaly respect all humans' someone might say 'I fundamentaly hate some humans', there's no shining heaven-sent law that says one of the two approaches is valid. What we can do, is engage in even dialogue with people that hold different beliefs to ours, and try to reach understanding, not make them conform to our viewpoint. As you might have guessed, the strong arm of the law isn't exactly a conductive means to achieve understanding.