AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 278875 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #230 on: February 13, 2008, 01:30:19 pm
I've heard it all before on modern art, which more appropriately is post-modern art. I don't see a point in discussing its merits or demerits anymore, really.

Honesty should determine the significance of a work of art more than controversy or persuasive intent.

Honesty should qualify the significance of the intention of the artist, but in no way does it determine the worth of the artwork itself.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #231 on: February 13, 2008, 09:52:40 pm
I should probably choose my words a bit more careful next time :P, because I agree, honesty isn't the sole factor, or even one of the major factors that determines the worth of a piece of art--I was merely saying that it should be pointed before controversy or intent. 

When we are talking about the worth of a piece of art, that's when we have to bring up the artistic elements--line, shape, form, color, value, texture, depth (that sort of stuff)--and how properly each was employed to get across the artwork's message.  I'd say honesty's got little to do with the elements of art :P.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #232 on: February 13, 2008, 10:09:22 pm
Call me a simpleton, but good art seems to hit you the moment you see it. There's all sorts of logical bullshat out there to explain what makes a good piece of art, but I'd rather trust my instincts on what I LIKE. So yeah, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and junk...
my back hurts...

Offline mattpk

• Epic Fail Pixeler wee
    • View Profile
    • Google

Reply #233 on: February 14, 2008, 01:18:49 am
I like pie you dont i hate you blah blah uber stop

Do i win in the random contest?

Happy valentines day!
Nuuuuuuuuuuuuu

D:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #234 on: February 14, 2008, 01:50:23 am
When we are talking about the worth of a piece of art, that's when we have to bring up the artistic elements--line, shape, form, color, value, texture, depth (that sort of stuff)--and how properly each was employed to get across the artwork's message.  I'd say honesty's got little to do with the elements of art :P.

actually that sort of structuralist viewpoint about art doesn't agree with me on some deep level. I think art of personal value to me is inherently inscrutible. We can talk all about line and form with it as an example, but in the end it's so much more why I love it, and so impossible for me to put it into words. Not to say that one shouldn't try, it's great brain training.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #235 on: February 14, 2008, 03:09:39 am
Well yeah, that goes without saying.  And The B.O.B. is right too....true aesthetic is like...a gut, instinct thing...like love or something.  The elements are just an attempt to try to help describe why something is beautiful...why something is pleasing to look at.....so soulless bureaucrat peoples can appreciate art, too :P
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #236 on: February 16, 2008, 02:35:02 am
Blurry video of SNK/Playmore's latest KOF, now with hi-res 2D graphics!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjScFUY1uLU

Capcom, take note.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #237 on: February 16, 2008, 06:38:13 am
Yeah, I really dug the video. I was so excited about it that I woke up my friend last night (last morning? this morning? whatever) at 1:00 AM to see it.

The only thing I don't like is the obvious flare of their Falcoon artist in these new graphics, but it's still pretty rockin' and much preferred over what I'm seeing from SF4.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #238 on: February 16, 2008, 06:49:14 am
Yeah, saw the link earlier today. Man, looks like kof finally hit their animation mark, and may have the juice to compete with SF3. But I remember them initially parting for mix of 2d AND 3d when news of development first came forward. I was expecting celshaded stuff, but I guess they went the long route, and opted for some good ole fashioned pixel art. Then again, the quality of the vid might not be all too clear...

Either way, yes, SF 4 should have followed suit, but instead are trying to grab younger audiences, who will most likely not go for the supposed revamped graphics.
my back hurts...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #239 on: February 17, 2008, 04:58:18 am
Just heard a loud crash, a lot of shouting and then a ton of sirens.
I (like most of my neighbours) went down the the street pretending to check the mail and found that a cop car had crashed into a mongrel mob (most prominent gang in new zealand) bike (one of those massive 3 wheeler hog things)
Not sure what happened but the gang member looked pretty hurt and under arrest.

cool.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise