AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 279001 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #190 on: February 03, 2008, 08:07:44 pm
That's nice and all purpose. But wouldn't a binder and paper bought separately, capable of handling all those mediums, be cheaper and as useful? Plus, reusability (both of the cover and of the paper used inside).

yeah but the biggest trouble with loose papers is implied - they are easily lost.  the other thing is that a binder has rings, which are a pain (for me):

now that's smooth - comfy.

the pocket size also does it for me.  not many good sketchpads come that size, and the truth of the matter is that if you got 2-ply toned smooth paper, you'ld need i'd wager 4 A0 sheets of it, which would cost oddly enough about $5 even at a good cheap shop, so nope - buying paper separately is a losing bet, and then to have a store bind book-style in leather would cost the consumer way more than it would to just buy the processed book.  I know, it's fueling big business and middle-men, but they get it a hell of a lot cheaper than I can, and those savings pass on to me... :D

the one that bought one of those digital cameras with exchageable lenses because "he wants to be an artist"
A digital SLR is an important investment for the would-be photographer, but no, anyone else should stick to a power-shot.  I'm considering a good digital camera (th d40x, to be specific) for the sake not only of my photography electives but also of preserving my traditional works, because even say a thousand dollars is worth it in the long run, provided that RAW format doesn't go out of style in the next 15-20 years.  A decent film camera is also a good investment because they are cheap are far superior to digitals of twice the price.  Of course if it never gets used it's a stupid waste of money regardless.

But if it's something that really fulfills one's needs, i'd say the money's completely justifiable! (edit) all i'm advocating is intelligent buying.
so we're on the same page :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #191 on: February 04, 2008, 12:49:15 am
Ok, i can see how those characteristics can be appealing. I just find paying for such features as brand name and guarantee (for a... sketchbook!) unnecessary (silly). I'll stick with 50 cents crappy notepads :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #192 on: February 04, 2008, 01:26:54 am
I just find paying for such features as brand name and guarantee (for a... sketchbook!) unnecessary (silly).

Heh, brand name isn't why i or any serious artist uses them - tell me a cheaper sketchbook that's half as good and i'll buy it before you can blink.

I'll stick with 50 cents crappy notepads

We must live in different towns, around here 50c wouldn't get you anything.  Cheapest shit is at least $1.29 at duane reade and you can practically see through the pages.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline brianskywalker

• View Profile
    • sakana

Reply #193 on: February 04, 2008, 01:36:17 am
Around here you can get a 75 sheet RULED notepad for $1. But it's sucks for art, it's like see threw and the lines really take a lot away from it. The dollar store also sells sketchbooks for about $2.50, but it's basically just white construction paper, so that really doesn't help much at all either. I tend to use BIGGIE sketch pads, because it still isn't uber expensive. I'm going to try moleskin, though. Hopefully the pages don't instantly fall out like BIGGIE ones do, that would suck.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #194 on: February 04, 2008, 10:20:15 am
Skething in a notepad is really difficult for me.. because I know that someone's gonna want to browse it anyway, so the sketches can't be totally crap and random and unpolished.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #195 on: February 04, 2008, 11:03:51 am
I used to have trouble with people browsing my sketches too. Then I decided not to care and it helped.

You should keep in mind that for non-artists whatever you draw that is moderately okay will seem super-amazing to them. And for artists they are well aware of the 'oh noooo don't look at my sketcheeeeeeeees' effect and will sympathise.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:22:33 am by Helm »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #196 on: February 04, 2008, 12:43:08 pm
There's always someone who can't begin to sympathise and assumes the crap is a reflection on your skill as an artist, they usually point out obvious flaws and look down their noses as if they have any valid oppinions on your art. My brother's like that, he see's what Im capable of and looks at my doodles as if to say 'come on, you can do better than that..'

I agree not caring helps, but theres always a part of you that wants to be an excellent draftsman straight off the mark.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #197 on: February 04, 2008, 02:45:38 pm
I agree not caring helps, but theres always a part of you that wants to be an excellent draftsman straight off the mark.

This is why I like to sketch with pencils and not pens ;)
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #198 on: February 04, 2008, 03:22:56 pm
If you're so worried, you could sketch with invisible ink under a UV lamp. Hehe :p

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #199 on: February 04, 2008, 08:33:41 pm
No Country For Old Men was yummy.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.