AuthorTopic: X-com personal armour sprite (16 x 16)  (Read 6948 times)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: X-com personal armour sprite (16 x 16)

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 03:27:39 am

Tried to match it to the proportions of arne's concept (well, as much as I could) but also keep it readable.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:00:09 am by tocky »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 04:03:30 am
I think you're trying to define the face too much for non-chibi.
Tried to make it more three-quarter.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 10:00:31 am
Surt, they definately look more three-quarter view. But I've never been a fan of sprites having no facial details. I know it is realistic at this size, but we all know how important the facial details are for suggesting a person and that's why I try hard to keep details of a face in there. For such a small size, it's difficult though. I see that like me you also don't like losing those 2 center pixel vertical lines..  ;D

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 11:02:31 am
The only important face feature are the eyes imho. Look at old NES graphics. As long as a sprite has eyes, it looks like a lifeform. But if it misses the eyes... lifeless. And who's interested in mouth and nose (well, nose is ok) at this size? Study NES graphics (Zelda 1 e.g.)
Look at the sprite-rips Arne made here. They look more lively with one color than your full color sprite. Why not give her a feature (like a gun) or a more dynamic stance. The small sprites prove that it's possible at this size.
And don't forget.. if you have a 8-headed person in foreshortening from top view, slightly tilted, the head could be half of the size of the sprite! Maybe you should set the overall perspective first and do the sprites afterwards. It looks like you're using a frontview currently (compared with the other thread (btw, why did you open a new thread? anyway). But if you have a shoulder-width with two heads, it mostly looks like men and not female, if you don't hightlight her hips more.

Here's a small doodle to show what I meant

PS: And please post just 100% pictures, we have a zoom-script here. If you wish to post it in another forum, feel free to upload another version (200%), but we have to resize you sprites to analyse and edit them.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 11:10:41 am
I agree that eyes are the most important feature. As for the pose, yes it's not dynamic because I am not good at anatomy and creating things from imagination. I also wanted to have a relatively straightforward pose to work on improving..

Why did I open another thread? Why, because it's a different design and sprite of course..

I posted at x2 because they look tiny at x1 on my monitor, but if that is the norm, then I will post at x1.

Care to do a full version so I can see how you would do this design at 16 x 16 in a more dynamic pose?  ;)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 12:04:38 pm
Bah! It just looks like a mess!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 10:10:51 pm
I keep it at it's still too broad =P
I'd also like to see some more texture in the hair.

In this most recent one the legs lost recognizability of pose. Keep them at same lenght would be a smart move at this limited size (except if its a moving frame).