AuthorTopic: Chucky wants to play (Hi btw)  (Read 12216 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Chucky wants to play (Hi btw)

Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 06:44:49 pm
I did a small edit on it. Mainly i reduced the colors from 19 to 12, as there were many similar colors that were not next to another so it does not really hurt at all if you get rid of them. I also added some antialiasing, mainly at the hairline, the mouth and the eyes, and last of all i added some hightlights to the hair.

About the colorreduction: basically it is not necessary if you pixel for fun, but I am a lowcolorwhore and like to restrain myself in those terms.

mine - yours

cheerios
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 08:42:19 pm

one colour less, smarter tint, aa corrections, different contrast, and you weren't using a buffer shade on the flesh ramp but you had it in the hair.

EDIT: had a duplicate colour, how noobish of me. Also, PURE EVIL:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 09:29:24 pm by Helm »

Offline 100%Polyester

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 03:36:44 am
 :o Arrrgh the brilliance.  You must teach me...how? :P I'm just loving those edits. 
Quote from: ptoing
I also added some antialiasing, mainly at the hairline, the mouth and the eyes, and last of all i added some hightlights to the hair.
Yea, ive never been able to antialias, any pointers?  The highlights are a nice touch aswell.

Quote from: Helm
...and you weren't using a buffer shade on the flesh ramp but you had it in the hair.
Buffer shade? Flesh ramp?.....now I'm all confused  ???  You obviously know what your talking about unlike me :P  Can anyone explain these terms for me?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 05:19:45 pm
a colour ramp is a number of colours of roughly the same hue (*there's a lot to discuss on an advanced level here, about ramp tinting, colour ramp mixing etc) which you use to shade something, from very dark, near black, to very bright, near white colours. The game boy palette, for example, of 4 colours, is a colour ramp. Theoretically, pure black, and pure white, only the two of them, are a colour ramp too :P In this case, the 'flesh ramp' I reffered to was the collection of colours you used to shade the face. And what I said was that there was one colour you had in the hair, that (given optimization) was useful as a buffer shade in the flesh shades too. You'll notice that I basically blended everything and created one ramp for whole of the sprite. It's a juggling act, to minimize colours used, and at the same time have an end result that doesn't look too 'muddy' or monochromatic, when you do this.

And by buffer, I mean using a shade as an intermmediate step between two others, to smooth out selectively where this is needed. If I had pure white, and pure black, and one shade of gray, I'd use the shade of gray to buffer where I needed between the two to minimize the harshness. Buffering is different from Anti-aliasing in a very interesting way. Anti-alias mainly is applied to minimize the jaggy effect of pixel-art. To take away the 'blockage', really. Buffering isn't about that at all. Buffering is there to create gradients, from small to very large from one colour to another. The 'steps' might still be jaggy after you've buffered. Usually if the art style stands for it, and you want the gradients to be smoother still, and you don't mind the texture that it adds, you then dither from one shade to another...

The wiki will be a great thing.