AuthorTopic: Chucky wants to play (Hi btw)  (Read 12215 times)

Offline 100%Polyester

• View Profile

Chucky wants to play (Hi btw)

on: August 04, 2005, 04:37:28 am
Hi everyone, just introducing maself and giving you all something to crit.  Be as harsh as you want...i need to get better somehow. 
19 colours including transparency
 Its Chucky! (Obviously??)
I've called it finished for a while now, but I'm still certainly welcome to change anything that could use a touch up.  I don't have my reference anymore either, sorry bout that, but if you google image search 'Chucky' you should find the right pic.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: Chucky wants to play (Hi btw)

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 04:58:03 am
Its Chucky! (Obviously??)

very obviously.  this is awesome, i'm thinking seeing you're going low color, why not really low?  you can cut at least 4 shades out of that, maybe more (helm?).

nose looks slightly flat maybe?  hair is very detailed all the way through it.  better effect might be achieved by highlighting areas of the hair with the amount of detail you have applied, and cutting back slightly for the rest.  This would also actually create the illusion of greater detail. 

very good work though.

Offline 100%Polyester

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 05:15:06 am
Thanks for the kind words lief.  I'm kinda new(?) to pixelling (started around mid february), and this is my best work yet. *too ashamed to post others*. 
nose looks slightly flat maybe?
Yea, i see what you mean, ill give it a go later on

i'm thinking seeing you're going low color, why not really low?  you can cut at least 4 shades out of that, maybe more (helm?).
I wasn't really aiiming for low colour, i just chose colours that suited :P...BTW whats helm?

hair is very detailed all the way through it.  better effect might be achieved by highlighting areas of the hair with the amount of detail you have applied, and cutting back slightly for the rest.  This would also actually create the illusion of greater detail.
Yea this was the first time for me to create anything semi-detailed, and the hair really had me stumped for a fair while.  Although i think it looks reasonable, I would really appreciate any more tips and pointers to make it look better

EDIT: I just noticed helm is another member here....is that who you were referring to?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 06:21:58 am by 100%Polyester »

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 05:36:22 am
Nice job on the hair. I really can't think of anything to critique on on this peice. So as to not leave this post empty I think this is your reference pic.

:D

aka: Zoomrix

Offline 100%Polyester

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 06:23:22 am
Ta Negative Gravity.  Yes indeedy that was the reference.  Thanks for that :)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 06:50:50 am
The dithering looks very good, and the color choices match excelently. Also, the textures in the hair is very good. The only thing that really takes away from this piece is the highlighting on the forehead. I don't think it should come from the corner, but instead, should be an "island", with the next darkest color going around it. Other than that, this is a very good piece.  Keep up the outstanding work.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline 100%Polyester

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 08:04:33 am
...The only thing that really takes away from this piece is the highlighting on the forehead. I don't think it should come from the corner, but instead, should be an "island", with the next darkest color going around it....
Yeah, i see what you mean now i look at it.  That highlighting is really getting on my nerves now lol....i'll have to have a go at fixing it up sometime...

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 08:36:52 am
It's nice, very nice.  I am however curious, if this is a trace.  Your image seems to fit right over the head of the refrence picture that ng posted.

Offline 100%Polyester

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 08:46:48 am
It's nice, very nice.  I am however curious, if this is a trace.  Your image seems to fit right over the head of the refrence picture that ng posted.
The basic outline of the face, eyes, and the hair to a degree were traced from the referance image.  I started this pic after having  a quick glimpse of so-lou's tutorial, thus explaining my use of chucky (im not much of a fan to tell the truth :P), and I loosely followed the same technique outlined in her tutorial.  Is this wrong?...I don't really know, but I presumed it was ok. ???
If you want I can post various stages of progress.

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 12:48:14 pm
I don't mind, I think it looks nice, it was a question of curiosity.  Generaly your safe if you call it before it's found out, but dont worry I dont bite :P