AuthorTopic: Platformer Mockup... Or is it?  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Platformer Mockup... Or is it?

on: December 26, 2007, 06:11:03 pm
Okay :) This is a mockup from a game I am working on.
I will be posting the characters animation soon.

-edited the ground color
sorry about that.taka M
please critique the hell out of this.
Edit-begining to redo the house, from scratch as suggested:P
Lines:

Colored:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 05:39:52 pm by Winston »
It's time for racing car video games

Offline Jericho

• View Profile
    • AppleLoaf Valley

Re: Platformer Mockup... Or is it?

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:16:02 pm
first thing i see that needs some adjustment is the roof palette and the dithering.

The palette seems to be lopsided. Your brightest colour is only a little bit brighter/lighter than the next one down but the contrast between the other colours is pretty high.

Your dithering looks to be a bit messy. You've got random pixels and really jagged edges in it. You may want to either clean it up or just dump it (i suggest this) and just use more colours.
Alice is dead. We cut off her head.

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 06:18:09 pm
okay, so just attempt the roof again? I had trouble doing it the first time because I was trying for a look that made it look like cloth, but I couldn't find any refrences, do you think you could do a quick edit to help me on my way?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 06:53:10 pm
Well, you made it look like cloth alright, but as a design choice...why is the roof made of cloth?
And hey, if you can't find any references, you can always make one yourself. Looks like you'd need, what, a box and some cloth and maybe a support to hold the cloth up? Household items, man. I rather like everything but the roof, myself. Your contrast, however needs some work. In some places the value jumps are too great, in others far too shallow. Well...maybe not too great, just right. It just looks wierd 'cause they're next to low-contrasted places.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 07:34:18 pm
Looks oddly familiar to me. Kinda brings up that 'Twinsen' vibe. Hm..

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 07:37:37 pm
The character is hard to see. Not only is he tiny (which is not a bad thing) but you have him standing behind the grass which hides him even more. Is he wearing a mask? Also, you have black outlines on somethings and not on others. I would try to be more consistent. Post the updates and animation when you can, I want to see where you are going with this.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:52:09 pm
have you not tried physically using cloth as a rl reference? droop something over a cup or something to see how it reacts, fold up a t-shirt into a square shape so its tucked up round the edges? may be an interesting reference for how to go about the roof. Just use a lamp as or something as a main light source in a dim room or switch your main lights off so you can just see first hand how to go about this, why google something when you can make do with the hundreds of useless crap about your house? Someone suggested 3D programs are great ways of figuring out working with various light sources, maybe, but but are these people attached to their keyboards as mice cus it seems like they don't realise there's a world behind em.

Oh, im liking the atmosphere of this so far you're doing well, I think a lot of attention is diverted off the character though, also I don't get why the building has its own perspective.  :huh:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:55:03 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 02:38:44 am
-Terley- thanks:) this has been a long time WIP since, the game is finally coming along, um, the building itself I have I'm not sure about the perspective, I can't seem to draw 2d buildings without them seeming bland.

-Ryan Cordel- Never heard of it this game (I'm assuming it's a game ???) I should check it out.

-to everyone who comeneted about the "real life"- Yeah I had thought of that about an hour after posting this haha, I will be sure to do that, too bad real life isn't made with pixels :P

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 11:16:41 am
-Ryan Cordel- Never heard of it this game (I'm assuming it's a game ???) I should check it out.
you sure you haven't heard of it?

the dirt (and shadow from the grass) is the exact same colour, I don't really mind, it's just two colours.
But if you did lift them out of a screenshot of mine, please don't deny you're aware my game exists

anywho, looks like a solid start, we can always use more platformers :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 02:52:28 pm
oh, well if that is the name of your game then I am a fan, yes the shadows and normal color are a lift, though I have changed that now
really sorry about that
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:54:17 pm by Winston »