AuthorTopic: Order of Techniques  (Read 6080 times)

Offline Xer0bot

• View Profile

Order of Techniques

on: November 09, 2020, 09:36:42 am
Good day,

I'm a beginner sprite artist that's working towards a standardized approach for the animation process.
With that in mind, I hope to reduce repetition and save time while having a well planned process.

To the experienced artists, are you drawing your light sources as you work on your frames during animation or is that it's own separate step ?

I'm trying to minimize the amount of work so that it's easier to animate, and then do other things afterwards like details and stylization, that fancy belt buckle that hasn't been added yet, the shading, lighting, values and what not..

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 10:41:53 am by Xer0bot »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Order of Techniques

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:43:02 pm
I go the whole nine yards on one of the keyframes (typically an idle pose; I usually do idle animations last) just to be sure that everything reads well. Once that's done, I block in the frames very loosely, and I don't deal with lighting and details until I'm satisfied with the base animation. I'll only touch lighting during this stage if it's an important and dynamic part of the animation.

I usually do this cycle (block in -> refine timing/poses -> lighting/details) on each separate animation rather than several animations at once, because I like having something I can call done on a regular basis. It's probably a less efficient way to work overall, but for me, the psychological benefit is worth it.