AuthorTopic: Disorder in pixels!  (Read 11325 times)

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Disorder in pixels!

Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 01:12:37 pm
Have a folder in my E: drive named, basicly, 'Sprite Archive' (eevvill.).

Stores all of my works and some of others to study/edit (helpful kind, don't get ideas. =P) and such. Two sub folders include Character Bios and Pixel Art Study, both self explenatory.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 12:34:00 am
I have

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\NATHAN\Partisan   (80 mb)
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\NATHAN\Random   (6 mb)
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\NATHAN\Projects    (48 mb)

of course, there are maybe 20 music files and half a dozen psd's in those, too.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #22 on: December 26, 2007, 01:37:18 am
I tried to be organized, but that just ended up with me having too many folders with not enough in 'em stuff after I went back to saving in "My Picures/game"
I'll organize them someday...well, not organize so much as prune away the many duplicates and progress-saves.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 04:07:22 am
inside "CAMILO/ Ref1" I've got a "pixelation" folder with a bunch of tiny folders for each user whose art I've been interested in.

and then there's random little single pieces from users of whom I've liked only one piece that just get dumped into "pixelation"

The reference from actual published games is far more abundant, from 3d and 2d games, everything from conceptart to screenshots to sprites (in the 2d ones, DUHH) I've somewhat got one folder per genere in "ref1" and "ref2" 'cuz ref1 got too big

And the folder for all the stuff I create is called "Ggale" (guess why =O)
Whenever I work in something I just save it there as default, each file usually has a "filename-history" folder for the old versions, a lot like what Ptoing does.
Then whenever I get into a diferent project I create a new subfolder to ditch all the files and their "history"folder, so that I can have everything separated neatly by the time of their making.

I generally have my organization all sorted out
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 04:20:02 am by Conceit »

Offline Jolly

• eve
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 06:01:14 am
I deleted everything in the My Pictures folder after reading this thread.  :)
I must try to keep organized!

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 26, 2007, 07:06:39 am
I regard pixel art VS CG to be an unimportant distinction (just a difference of exactingness), so I have both in the same directory (I don't have folders on my computer), I actually haven't done a lot of pixel art this year, though it appears I have consistently finished all but one of the  pixelled pieces I started :D

Under my Art directory, I have a directory 2007, and will be changing soon over to 2008. In that directory, all picture files are 'unclassified'. I have a gimp plugin that saves the current  image with a name like sketch122507-00.xcf.gz in this 'scratch' area, which I usually use when saving an image for the first time. (the date is meant thusly to be the date of creation rather than the date of revision -- I care more about the date of creation, which is not reliably preserved across OSes/filesystems otherwise.
If they turn out interesting, I rename them to something more descriptive -- like 'crazy-berry.xcf' and later move them into a subdirectory, also usually rerendering them.
Each directory may also have a HISTORY subdirectory., which tracks old revisions of the history of images (depending on whether i use my 'save history step' plugin for some of the images in that directory.)

I also have a XXXXcont directory, in which I place promising WIPs from the previous year. (XXXX being a year number)

Elsewhere, I have refs, which are more or less independent, organized by type of pixelart (portrait, sprite, bg, tiles, ..). And which I more or less don't refer to.-- pretty much only when I'm looking for a technique/variation to render some particular thing.

I write about my art, techniques, HOWTOs, links to references... in my art journal (actually a TiddlyWiki (http://mptw.tiddlyspot.com). I also use my art journal to plan and coordinate my art.

At the end of the year, i:
* Name and classify anything that I can
* Delete clearly insipid or otherwise cringeworthy drawings
* Transfer promising drawings to the next year's XXXXcont directory
* Move the sketches that remain into sketch/ directory  (remembering to move HISTORY entries alongside them)
* Save PNG versions of images where needed, in order to...
* Mention any good images I've been tardy in mentioning in my private art journal.

I've been using this system for about 13 months :).

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.