AuthorTopic: WIP castlevania style prac  (Read 9148 times)

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

WIP castlevania style prac

on: December 20, 2007, 10:47:27 pm
trying to learn castlevania's style recently

tho it's still far from completion, C&C pls

note it's not a modification from any of castlevania sprite
it's completely build from scratch
the ref pic is mine too

---->

===========================================================
hello i am back from vacation, here is a little bit of update
will work on it more over weekend

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 01:35:15 am by yueprofile »

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: WIP castlevania style prac

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:03:23 pm
Whoa. I'd say these are huge for pixel-art. Why are you making them so big? At that size you might as well stick to painting them like you did with the portrait you made (which is very nice by the way).
Really I suggest you start over and make it much smaller. Like half the size of what you got there.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 01:29:08 am
Yeah, these are pretty big...I mean, if you plan on adding pixel-level polish, I'm not going to stop you, but you might want to think about a smaller, more manageable canvas.

Also, I'm curious: if you are trying to learn the "castlevania style", but the reference picture you are using to do so is your own, how do you expect to learn anything? :S I'm confused.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:20:54 am
Yeah, these are pretty big...I mean, if you plan on adding pixel-level polish, I'm not going to stop you, but you might want to think about a smaller, more manageable canvas.

Also, I'm curious: if you are trying to learn the "castlevania style", but the reference picture you are using to do so is your own, how do you expect to learn anything? :S I'm confused.

perhaps the reference picture made, was referenced from another reference picture? o.0.. anyways I would definitely recommend making this piece a lot smaller. If you really plan to polish this on the pixel level, be my guest, but that will take a very, very long time. As a painting, though, this is quite nice. so far, at least.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline yueprofile

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 12:17:40 am
thx all

perhaps the reference picture made, was referenced from another reference picture? o.0.. anyways I would definitely recommend making this piece a lot smaller. If you really plan to polish this on the pixel level, be my guest, but that will take a very, very long time. As a painting, though, this is quite nice. so far, at least.

about the size, i used to work from 2x image and then bring it down to 1x,
so it will be like 1/4 of the size after i build the shape out

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:28:20 am by yueprofile »

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 04:22:37 am
Okay, so let me dish:

First thing that strikes me is that his proportions look too 'real'. I mean. When you think Castlevania or other anime inspired designs, the character mostly have these supermodel-like porportions, with longer limbs and torsos. Second thing is that the pose, altough correct, looks a bit uninsteresting to me. Maybe you should experiment with perspective a bit more?

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:41:04 am
Okay, so let me dish:

First thing that strikes me is that his proportions look too 'real'. I mean. When you think Castlevania or other anime inspired designs, the character mostly have these supermodel-like porportions, with longer limbs and torsos. Second thing is that the pose, altough correct, looks a bit uninsteresting to me. Maybe you should experiment with perspective a bit more?
The 'castlevania' style they're speaking of isn't the style of the two anime DS abortions.
it might be a one shot deal

Offline cave

• View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 01:59:19 pm
Since it's such a long standing series, it's natural that they have gone into all sorts of different art styles, so saying that you want to learn "the castlevania style" is somewhat confusing. perhaps we could pin it down to a specific generation of games? I was thinking of the PS1 era myself, which is why I said 'anime inspired' instead of anime top to bottom.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 04:12:33 am
This is definitely what I think of as the 'Castlevania style'.. although its not my favorite game.

I think you're living in a fantasy anime world if you find this to be anime inspired.
It seems to be inspired by an actual human form.
it might be a one shot deal

Offline cave

• View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 05:04:28 am
I really should stop using the word "anime", as it seems to push all the wrong buttons on a lot of people. Anyways, yes, this artwork is from the PS1 era, so I still stand by my previous crits. Anyways take them or don't, whatever. I'm just trying to help. No need to be rude.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 01:31:41 pm by cave »