AuthorTopic: RTS iso tiles  (Read 3325 times)

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

RTS iso tiles

on: November 26, 2005, 10:22:22 pm
The project is reloaded and I never got to update those trees because we've changed the perspective, it will now be done in isometric. crits on terrain and the tree please, I included a shot from starcraft to demonstrate the perspective i'm shooting for, our colors are more saturated. Thanks.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 10:26:16 pm by xanthier »
For this, a long time have I waited.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Re: RTS iso tiles

Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 10:35:23 pm
It's all a bit dark and murky, isn't it? For me there's no real sense of 3Dness about them. Good iso tiles have the quality of looking truly 3D as if they'd spilling out of their tiles. I'd suggest having the top-side of the grass tiles less regular so that there aren't so many straight lines.

And the trees, well there's too much darkness for me. It's like there's a little bit of detail sitting in the middle of a large lump of green. Sorry, but it doesn't really work for me.

The main things I'd do would be lighten things up and add some more detail to the grass tiles (and I mean detail rather than the slightly scribbly texture that the tree trunks have), give the water a more interesting colour with some depth to it and re-do those trees. Their shape seems slightly zelda-ish (ie, huge trunk) which seems add odds with the rest of the scene.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline l0rdtaz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 12:09:50 pm
Hey xanthier!

Nice to see you again!, Remeber your work from the old pixelation webpage page.
I've always been curious about your RTS game and wondered how things are going, so it's good to see that you're still working on it.
Are you just doing the gfx, or are you coding aswell?

Offline xanthier

• I need a lightsaber!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:41:44 pm
no taz, I have a couple coders, I am just doing gfx and overall design. Thanks DDD but what do you mean by lighten things up a bit?
For this, a long time have I waited.