AuthorTopic: Things to make a street  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Things to make a street

on: December 19, 2007, 09:47:51 pm
Greetings,

Something bothers me about the shadows on the attached building.

-->

Any suggestions for better foliage? Wait, any suggestions for a better tree?

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:43:16 pm by Hishnak »

Offline KhrisMUC

• View Profile

Re: Things to make a street

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:52:09 pm
The edge of the shadow on the top of the small building has to run at an angle, like on the ground in front of it.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:44:42 pm
There was a lot going on with the shadows on the building. It's as if you had two lightsources... You had shadows being cast towards the viewer on top of the main building, then you had the shadow from the building itself being cast away from the viewer. All shadows should always be in the same direction. Here's a quick edit I think that fixed the shadow problem...

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 05:42:10 am
I like the style of the building, but it really doesn't match the style of the tree.  Apply the same dark outline and cartoon-y style you got on the building complex to the tree, and I think you'll be in business.   :y: :)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 01:58:22 pm

Heheh

I think trees needed more leaves and branches (added no big branches since I wanted to stay true to the original tree) (: I also played around with the trunk and did this and that, and I hope you can learn something from it.

I thought that the trunk was somewhat of a mess, so I desaturated it and, eh, redid it and chose completely different colours. The problem is that I worked against a black BG, so it all might be a bit dark D:>

Anyways, when you make the leafage, don't try to make it some kind of cloud-shaped tree:y shape, just quickly scribble where you think leaves should be and then blot around with a 2x2 brush or something like that, just blot out leaves and leaves and leaves and leaves real rougly. After that, when you polish and clean up, the tree-feeling should already be there, so it's just up to you to refine it. (:

It's one way of rendering them, at least O:
' _ '

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 02:42:28 pm
Hey thanks for the comments.

That's a really nice tree there Jad. Here's what I did. Any better?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 04:26:22 pm
It's nice! Try to make the outlines flow inside of the foilage, so that the viewer actually gets to see that the foilage is made up of leaves rather than a big clump of green fluff with spots on it!

I like it, though, improvement, yay! <3
' _ '

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 07:11:30 pm
A monster on a building. Just the basics because I didn't want to go too far without some help/pointers.

Any comments on the hands/positioning? Does the tail through the window even work? Does it look retarded? Eventually the building will be broken down so his tail won't just be going strait through the wall.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 07:54:54 pm
You partially fixed the shading on the building, but didn't fix the inconsistent shadows. Shadows can't be cast towards the viewer and away.
Also take note I fixed something rather distracting with the shadow, the fact that it comes out a whole 3 pixels off the building before moving vertically looks really weird.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 07:57:03 pm by Dusty »

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 05:02:49 pm
Is the shadow fixed? I don't really know what's going on with this monster. All the texture is still in the works and you can see that the stuff behind his head is different than his leg.