AuthorTopic: my dump (NEW: EGA jack!)  (Read 7310 times)

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

my dump (NEW: EGA jack!)

on: December 18, 2007, 01:05:26 am
new game idea, which im still thinking of.  so far all i know is that i want to get better at volumetrics.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 11:30:24 pm by eck »
untz untz untz?

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Re: Wizard Ninja Mockup Madness

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:25:13 pm
Looks more like just a wizard than a cross-class of wizard and ninja.

The animations look really good. The character could use some depth though. If you're going for a flat look, you may need to give it some outlines.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 11:47:37 pm
Those are excellent Eck but you should rethink the movement of the hat. I don't think that the front little bit would be so flexible to bounce the way it does. I think a much larger section should bob up and down. You might want to rework the shape of the hat (or have another shade) to make it look less like a top hat. The hat movement for jump is a bit too extreme.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:58:02 pm
sharprm, i shall address the hat issue soon, especially on the jump.  when i made it, i really had no idea what i was doing, as i am a total amateur to animating, so once i get some more advice on how to go about doing it, i will probably rework that one all together.

ryona, one of the goals of this project is for me to get a better grasp on volumetrics, and one of the ways i was trying to go about it was without outlines and shading, forcing me to put shapes together properly.  also, ninjas come later.  this is just a wizzard. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:01:37 am by eck »
untz untz untz?

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 02:28:52 pm
sorry for bump

I started the health bar and portrait thing, and I think its pretty much finished.  Now i want to get started on some background work.  I did some tiles, although they are bland and unoriginal, and i would love to do something different to replace them.  I am also trying to think of some ideas for a storyline, so if anyone has some, id be greatful for a post.
untz untz untz?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 05:31:30 pm
The background tiles also suffer from being higher contrast then the foreground. Reduces readability a lot! :'(
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 07:10:36 pm
the background is 32x32 blocks of mspaint default colors so that i know that im tiling correctly, as paint doesn't have any tiling support.  (or any support for that matter :/ )
untz untz untz?

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Re: my new dump ((formerly 'Wizard Ninja Mockup Madness'))

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 09:45:44 pm
wellllll.... this was going to be my secret santa present, but obviously i bit off more then i could chew, and ended up short on time and in over my head, so i made something new.  hopefully with some critiques, i can finish this off and give it to my partner as a 'bonus' present.

untz untz untz?

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 12:05:44 am
I think you we're really on the right track, you could of possibly just cropped it and concentrated on a smaller area if you thought you were biting off more than you could chew; like this maybe, I think the santa really could do with some references, that santa hat looks more like one of those russian soldier hats or whoever wore them.. Your palette could do with some tweaking, just altering the levels off each colour and seeing how you can make use of existing ones.

Its a pitty you gave up on this because you've only got one day left and im sure you could have simplified this rather than starting a whole new piece.. Mine was considerably longer and I had anticipated to colour in all my linework but I ended up chopping parts up and ditching some linework to make it feasible. Would it wreck the suprise if I said my piece is 'comicish'? as in panelled.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 10:23:06 pm

more work on the mockup.

ter, im going to keep working on it over time, im just putting it down for a few days to take a break?  the palette was one of my main concerns with that piece.  i really have no idea of how to go about 'unifying' it, so any advice or color edits are welcome.
untz untz untz?