AuthorTopic: Warming up  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Warming up

on: December 17, 2007, 10:00:01 am
Trying to work on some personal stuff again.  It seems like forever since I have!  This was made to get back in the pixel-groove.

(oldest <-----> Newest)

10 colors

I'm sure there are things that can be improved.  The only reason why I post it now is because I had a goal to finish and post it tonight.  It may not be entirely finished, but its 5am, there's work tomorrow, and I'm sick of looking at the fetching thing, so have at it.

-Dan

Edit:
1. Fudged around with the colors a bit and upped the contrast before hitting the sack

2. fixed some lighting issues, reduced some line-definition in the muscles, added the fourth finger to the hand, fixed weight/balance issue, fudged the palette a bit, and made backpack to be more 'tank-like' rather than 'rock'
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:20:15 am by Indigo »

Offline Naso

• ...?
    • View Profile
    • My PixelJoint

Re: Warming up

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 10:21:03 am
I don't see anything wrong with it, but what do i know, you edited what i was going to say about contrast. Looks really good, nice job.  :y:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:25:51 am by Naso »

Cheese Cake -naso

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:23:54 am
Uhm... the washed out-ness is not really my thing, even after the edit.
I did a fast color edit of what I would like to see:

Also the hand on the left could use some work as it looks like it only has 3 fingers (opposed to 4 like on the other)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:13:27 pm
Looks great - the only thing I don't like is more of a graphic design/animation issue than a drafting issue. (The draftmanship on this is pretty much flawless as far as I can tell)

This is your character's action line - it's a straight line that goes diagonally up. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, you can make the action line whatever you want as long as the rest of the image supports it. Normally a figure standing contrapposto, like this one, would have the action line moving straight up from his right (our left) foot to his head. Yours is at an angle, implying that he is either compensating his weight to balance himself, or he is about to spring forward. I'm guessing it's not the latter since he doesn't look like he's about to take off running. Maybe he's leaning forward to compensate for the weight on his back. But right now he's leaning too far forward - the weight on his back is going to push him off balance and cause him to topple over. The position of his big massive arms is also currently shifting his weight forward. I think moving the backpack further down on his back or further back, or repositioning his arms to steady himself could both fix the balance issue.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 05:50:22 pm
Wow, pretty sweet. I haven't seen the older version of this yet, and i agree that it has improved, mostly on contrast. Great silhouette.

My main crit is that each muscle seems apart from the others, as if he had no skin over them (or -10% body fat, as in vacuum fat). This is apparent in other work of yours. Not even the most defined of body builders will have this definition, and have such deep depressions in "muscle valleys", where two large muscle masses meet.
I suggest you blend the muscle "divisions" in the areas where they're supposed to not be as defined.
(My psychic powers tell me your "art roots" are from superhero comics. BLAMMO! :P)

panda's edit loses some readibilty on the darker areas, too dark, too low contrast. Your final version is the one that's most readable.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:56:21 pm
Trying to work on some personal stuff again.  It seems like forever since I have!  This was made to get back in the pixel-groove.

(oldest <-----> Newest)

Just noticed that his crotch isn't aligned with the middle of his chest, even if his body is contorting in a pose of some sort: ie, the body portion directly underneath the belt looks as if it's facing directly towards us, but the body portion above the straps suggest he is facing/angling towards our right...and the finger thing, which I also asked at Punaji-san...Needs a fixin', son, needs a fixin'...
(still looks great, btw...)
my back hurts...

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:19:16 am

fixed some lighting issues, reduced some line-definition in the muscles, added the fourth finger to the hand, fixed weight/balance issue, fudged the palette a bit, and made backpack to be more 'tank-like' rather than 'rock'

Panda:  I'm a bit in agreement with turbo that the edit destroys the dark end, while just making everything look washed in green - but I'll try to play a bit more with the palette and see what I can come up with

Ben:  I adjusted the backpack thing to try to fix the weight issue.  Fixed, in your opinion?

Turbo:  You are most definitely right about the line definition in there.  I toned it down a bit, think it should be done even more?  as for the comic book roots, nah - I've never read a comic book in my life, nor gander at them much.  My stuff does tend to lean in that style I guess.

BOB:  I'm not entirely sure I'm seeing what you're trying to say.  Maybe you could provide an edit?

Thanks for all the help guys,
-Dan

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 11:52:41 pm
Sorry, I'm not good with words. I hope this is helpful in understanding my original critique...

My edit towards the right just aligned the upper and lower body portions. That was the essential summary of my critique...(OH! And I added some needed hidden penar in his trunk, to make people question the similarities of this and Miascugh's work  :P )

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:08:47 am by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 03:24:13 pm
hmm.. I see the point you're trying to make.  Though I agree there is a problem there, if I adjust the abs it will give him the appearance of quite the belly (like in your edit as well as things i've tried).  In order to prevent that from happening I'd have to redraw the foremost leg to compliment the new stomach.  I'm really not up for completely redrawing half the sprite.

I believe I can solve it an alternate (kind of cheap) way.  by adjusting the straps to give the illusion it's more aligned than what it really is.  I'll try this out.

thanks B.O.B

-Dan