AuthorTopic: WIP for weekly challenge  (Read 4904 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

WIP for weekly challenge

on: January 02, 2008, 10:12:02 pm

obviously a very early WIP, so not yet concerned with pixel technique but with palette and composition.  Palette especially though because i have a borken monitor that makes everything desaturated and bluish....

brownie points for anyone (aside perhaps fil_razorback) who can tell me what the girl in the brown is looking at (but it's not essential to the piece).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:56:18 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Re: WIP for weekly challenge

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:37:48 am
... A river or bush? Currently, I think the palette is fine, but I am not certain how functional a jump from that light yellow skin tone to pure white will be when this is final, I would add at least one more light skin tone.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 06:56:01 am
Um um... That building in Rome, the theatre that Nero is suspected to have burned down! Arrgg, i forget. Anyways, that's my guess. ; D

As for the peice it's-self it looks lovely and i think the pallet is looking excelent so far. I think the sky could do as a bluish shade rather than being straight grey as it is now. But i can't wait to see how it turns out the composition seems increadibly interesting. : )

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 07:48:22 am
Don't know what to say at such an early stage (bar that it looks excellent so far, of course). So I'll over Analise! ha!

The skirt covering the left leg of the left figure looks like it need to be trimmed back abit as it seems to defy gravity abit.

The composition of the piece is very nice, though if it were me i would stretch the right side out abit to make the figures a little less central. (having the alot of the dark tones concentrated to the left side throws the balance out abit too, stretching out the right side should help fix that).

Late Victorian, Pre Raphaelite Paintings FTW! :P lol (thats the vibe I'm getting form this ^_^, am i right?)

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 03:11:58 am
Is she looking at troops going off to war?

The composition is very nice, but I think you just need to direct focus by adjusting saturation/brightness in certain areas.  Use some more desaturated colors to fill out the spaces in between, because it'll help accent the saturated colors.  Those accents will draw attention to the areas of the piece that you want to draw attention to.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 05:47:10 am
The composition is very nice, but I think you just need to direct focus by adjusting saturation/brightness in certain areas.  Use some more desaturated colors to fill out the spaces in between, because it'll help accent the saturated colors.  Those accents will draw attention to the areas of the piece that you want to draw attention to.
I thought he did this kind of well, actually. My eye was completely sucked to the yellow dress area because of the green there. AKA drawing attention to the cloth AKA what the competition was about.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 03:52:11 pm
Is she looking at troops going off to war?

Yay! i didn't think it would take that long for someone to get it >.<

I thought he did this kind of well, actually. My eye was completely sucked to the yellow dress area because of the green there. AKA drawing attention to the cloth AKA what the competition was about.

Well good, cow, that was my hope, though i definitely see what you mean too fak
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.