AuthorTopic: DOOM Status Bar Faces  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

DOOM Status Bar Faces

on: November 26, 2005, 12:58:34 am
 Here some of old Doom STFs.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: DOOM Status Bar Faces

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 02:58:09 pm
They're interesting elements. One almost looks like Patrick Stewart as a borg. Comparing the original with yours, I see that your eyes could use some anti aliasing to improve the look. The forehead on the guy with the red bandana is extremely flat. Again, interesting, but could be improved.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 11:53:44 pm
 Great idea peppermint. That the eyes should be ant-aliased.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 08:32:02 pm
one thing that the doom guy has that you dont, is smallers shading areas. if you look at your batman kind of guy, ou can clearely see that you have a big area there with no detail. you should maybe breake that with some sort of detail, such as some sort of shames arownd the area of the eyebrows or even some sort of texture. because the bigger you "gradient" is, the more it tends to look like a balloon.

but keep it up

i like the guy in the hat. he suffers less from what i said.

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline xio

• Will crit for food.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 09:42:29 pm
What you have is pretty good. The series does shows ambition, and the variety is nice, but there are a few things you could improve. These sprites are too dark to be Doom style. Many of the colors you used are overly saturated. The laser red being the most apparent. Also, your selout also seems too dark. This creates the appearance of a solid dark colored outline. You might also notice that in the Doom sprites there is no pure white, and only two pixels are actually black. I'm not even sure if those two pixels are pure black. Color reduction would probably do some good as well. Try leaving more space between colors. You don't need seemless blends for every shade; in fact, doing so creates a gradient effect that is not very nice. I also have a nitpick. The background color burns my eyes. Once again, good work so far.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 01:41:45 am
 Thanks for all the crits in this thread guys, it really helped. :D I hope you guys get better results in your new works.