AuthorTopic: Mock-up *updated 6/1/2008!*  (Read 7530 times)

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Mock-up *updated 6/1/2008!*

on: December 14, 2007, 06:26:12 pm
Well im really interesting in taking up games design as a future career, so i felt this would be a good place to start and gain experience.

I have very little/no knowledge of anything regarding this project, only from watching your works.
however i have limited pixel experience, which was in making forum signitures (which can be seen in some of my older topics.)

LATEST:

Here is my first step, any help on colour choices and how to go about such a project is really appreciated   :y:

In the top right is my origional Tree and the one on my ground is my more recently modified version.

Like i said help of any kind is greatly accepted, aswell as any edits you feel could benefit me.

Thanks in advance, Rob.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 12:47:44 am by `Rob »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Mock-up

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:02:16 am
Hi `Rob. It's a nice start you have, but there's plenty of things that can be improved. First of all, your tree is a blob, which doesn't look very organic. There's endless styles of trees, but you need to approach the shape of the leaves in accordance to how they would grow. Consider the left tree in this post: link. Better yet, study some photos of real trees.

Secondly, lose the dithering on the trunk. Dithering has a few uses, but this is not one of them. Here it is noisy and confuses the form of the trunk. You have enough colours in the trunk ramp to define the form of the trunk with little to no dithering at all required. That big area of shadow at the base of the trunk is confusing as well. Really, I would think it would be one of the potentially most-lit areas on the trunk, when considering the position of the lightsource on the leaves.

Leaves look too shiny. You have your brightest highlights bleeding into the midtones as speculars. Make a more even transition from highlight to midtone.

Ground tile is flat (contrast-wise) and somewhat uninteresting. The grass looks like flat color, needs more contrast and possibly a different form. Rocks need to pop more, imo.

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Re: Mock-up

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:03:24 pm
Thanks Eyecraft  ;D ;

Added an enemy =p
made the leaves less shiny, messed around with the trunk tried with the ground but seemed to fail every time :S

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Re: Mock-up updated 19th Dec

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 04:17:02 pm

Latest  :)

could anyone offer any advice?  ???

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 04:53:32 pm
You've definitely improved your tree trunk, and I've got to say that the water is a lot better than anything I could do. I'm not really qualified to give you any suggestions, but I would say that white outlines on your characters are not something I would do. Also, the tree's leaves still look wrong. It's still too integrated to the point where it almost looks like a round object rather than something made up of hundreds of small leaves. The ground is pretty cool. I would suggest making the grass more lush, and adding more depth to the sides of the rocks.

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 08:27:37 pm
I felt your leaves are still pretty flat and lacked any depth and so I did a small edit, all I've done is added more shadows and also got rid of the smooth edge to give it a more natural outline.

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:14:14 pm
thanks for the CC, especially skoby  ;D

Here's an update, need to make it more interesting to look at, like the majority of other mock-ups here. any suggestions are welcome and appreciated, aswell as more CC (Y) also feel free to edit.

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Re: Mock-up *updated 6/1/2008!*

Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:49:25 am
Had a little go at animating the slug

reasonably pleased, but i know there's alot that could be better.
my first time at attempting to make a moving sprite.

aswell as a little update on the background

Offline Winston

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 07:20:32 pm
hm, well the animation looks nice, maybe make the tail move a bit more drastically,
The real thing that is getting me about the animation is it looks like he's attempting to slit his wrists :-X maybe switch the knife to the other hand or extend his current arm
It's time for racing car video games

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:30:52 pm
Good sprite animation involves lots of subtle motion, and lots of redrawing.
What's more important to you, `Rob, quality, or time?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)