AuthorTopic: Portrait & vw Beetle  (Read 3316 times)

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Portrait & vw Beetle

on: December 14, 2007, 03:54:17 pm
Hey, been lurking around the forums for a while, kind of gave up on pixeling for a while I just coulding get any inspiration and kept scrapping projects, but today I decided to try and do my own avatar like all the ones I've seen on this site.  It's sort of finished, but doesn't quite look right to me but I every change I do doesn't seem to help now.  Also must confess I stole the pallette from another avatar as mine didn't look right. Anyway here it is...

Any pointers are appreciated, I keep thinking my face is the wrong shape but cant get it right lol.  Here's a pic I used to sketch the shape and as a reference for the shading.
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/535/dsc00294nz6.jpg

Latest

[edit] uploaded the latest version so hopefully should load OK

In a bout of boredom I decided to make a vw Beetle pic, I found a photo on Google Images identical to my own Beetle so shrunk it down and traced the outline and used it as a reference for the shading.  It is my own pallete tho and only 8 colours, I usually tend to use too many colours and have trouble with palletes so pretty pleased with it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:25:23 pm by skoby »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Self-portait

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 07:01:47 pm
The image won't load for me. ???
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:00:32 pm
Works now.  The main problem I see at the moment is th asymmetry of the face.  While you don't want to have a mirrored look, and asymmetry isn't a bad thing in art, for a portrait such as this I'd expect the major features of the face to be more or less symmetrical.  From the eyes up it looks like a straight-on perspective, but the slant of the jaw makes the face from the nose down look as if it is slightly turned  to our right.  So center the features, and be wary of how you utilize AA.  You don't want to pillowshade (pillowAA?) or just create a 1 px thick line around some parts.  You want to logically think where the AA is needed, or else it just blurs the outlines and details.

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 05:19:28 pm
OK I've tried to make it more symetrical, also did some dithering on the background.  Far happier with how the face looks now.  Added a new pic too, on a side note, is there anyway of putting transparancy on a paint image without downloading another program? (Im on a shared computor)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 11:26:39 pm by skoby »