AuthorTopic: forest mockup  (Read 13242 times)

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

forest mockup

on: December 12, 2007, 05:48:00 pm

Yeah nothing fancy,
Its a mockup smashed together from two pieces that have nothing to do with each other.
-18 colors (could be lower)
-dont like the foreground tiling
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:42:43 pm by vierbit »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: forest mockup

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:55:12 pm
I think the foreground looks great. However, one of the tiles in the background seems to make it inconsistent, in my opinion; well, not inconsistent, just weird. I'm talking about those bush holes in the background, that the forest tiles are making(towards the left side of the screen in the background, to the left of the 2nd, and 3rd tree starting from the left). I've never been partial to them in most games as they just seem strange to me. Oh, and what were the size dimensions of the tiles used? I love the top portion of the foreground to the right, and the style is wonderful. Henk N. would be proud...

p.s., you need to post more, your art NEEDS more lovin' from us....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 06:08:08 pm by The B.O.B. »
my back hurts...

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:26:08 pm
Yeah, this is awesome to the max.

I love how you can really tell which is the foreground and which is the background, and I think it's because the darkest color of the foreground is different than the darkest color of the background.  In general I think the background is too 2-dimensional, like wallpaper almost, simply because you can't see any more trees past the initial ones.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:11:08 pm
I love how you can really tell which is the foreground and which is the background,

I actually don't like that part of it.  It seems weird to me, like the background is disconnected from the foreground.  There should be a more gradual fade away, I think.  Looks ace, though.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:13:31 pm
Cool!
I like very much the art and the colors of it ^^
I can tell you that i dont really like the repetitiveness of the leafs of the trees and the weird violet background
:)

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:17:53 am
very nicely done vierbit.

so, I think for the background, you should don't use a violet color, but a black color in bush holes to make a better impression of depth/shadow.
It's the same for the foreground too with the dark violet.

but...
I think for the background, maybe you should make another layer of trees instead of making a sort of bush holes that make the background very strange for me. (but you can still keep then a little in the bottom)

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:17:42 am
Nice work and colors. Love the trees esp. the leaves.

B.O.B. is right about them holes, however. They make the tiling obvious and ruin the organic structure of the trees.
Another thing I don't like is how the leaves on the ground don't integrate well with the rocks (dried earth?). They have much darker shadows then the rest of the ground.
Also, the ground fades off into darkness rather abruptly making the tiling obvious once more.

All in all there's a lot of great pixeling in there, but tile-wise it's is not really executed very well. One might say that it's unfinished
i

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:39:01 am
I love how you can really tell which is the foreground and which is the background,

I actually don't like that part of it.  It seems weird to me, like the background is disconnected from the foreground.  There should be a more gradual fade away, I think.  Looks ace, though.

I think it might be because the palettes of the foreground are BG are too disconnected. Jad(or whoever suggested it) had an interesting idea where he used some foreground colours sparingly on background objects.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2465.0

The tree leaves are a sore point for me. The tiles edges and leaves patterns are easy to spot. They're almost mechanical in how orderly they are, like the distance between leaves and the equal spacing betweens leaves. They don't overlap eachother, which makes them seem even flatter

Great job on the textures, though. The trees are pretty awesome. I like how creepy and alien they are.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:39:00 am
Yeah you are right about the colors. If the foreground darkens into a purplish brown, then the bg should be tinted appropriately.
i

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 01:35:54 pm
*chokes on food* Woah, I love this. I concur with the points made. Maybe with the background have it recede into darker, more distant tree trunks rather than have the purple holes, or have that shrubbery follow a horizontal edging, more like plants growing from the ground, rather than the floating, strange omnidirectional presence they have at the moment.