AuthorTopic: Pixel school  (Read 63430 times)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: Pixel school

Reply #70 on: August 08, 2005, 12:28:15 am
yes.  all my little students... just ignore that discussion between the professors :).  That has to some of the most in depth discussion on the specifics of the wavelengths of reflected light on pixelation that i have ever seen.  can I request to a mod that those really in-depth posts are shifted to a new topic?  I'm trying to keep a fairly straightforward task format set here.  If I create a 'Pixel school discussion' thread it can be shifted there?

we have a lot to get done before nap time...

ng:  looking much better, although you may not like it more yet.  We now need to color up those shadows on the ufo, its too grey.  make those darker sections a touch lighter to reduce the contrast.  we also need to darker under the dirt clump more.  the house has a linear gradient running down it.  make it more of a dark flat color. 

brotherinwar: good.  we might have trouble seeing that it is an alien in the middle at the moment.  it reminds me of those roman flags (can't remember the name off the top of my head... ) on a pole that the army carried...

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: August 08, 2005, 01:02:45 am
Sorry about hte post not being too clear, Alex. I try to proofread my posts prior to posting, but I guess this is limited by how well I can actually proofread. What you said is similar to things I was thinking of. There were some things I hadn't considered like with the light not being powerful enough to reach the eye, but I really think I've picked up a good understanding of what you, Helm, and trick were saying. The next thing to do now, I guess, is to practice using this in some art.

Oh, and sorry about branching away from your format, Lief. I'm sure you can agree, though, that this has produced quite a nice bit of material for the wiki.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: August 08, 2005, 01:08:37 am
I certainly do agree crab.  I just think some of my students maybe shivering with fear in the corners of the room at the moment.
im not against these discussions,  i think i even started it somehow :)
I'm having a big think as to how to work this pixel school thing, as I don't think one long thread works too well.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: August 08, 2005, 01:24:24 am
Ireland:  Nice job.  The secondary lightsource should not be curving around the edge like that, I think I mislead you with my arrow :)
I like your first one. Can't actually see the pic at the moment, but next we might try to add some reflected light through the cockpit glass onto the UFO.  Also, on the middle panel we will dither that shadow across towards the left, and the same on the panel on the left.
Looking good.

Ehwhy:  How is your coloring coming along?
Tiktak :  Give me an hour or two, pm is on its way...

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #74 on: August 08, 2005, 02:23:13 am
Hmm, I shaded it, came out weird.  15 colors I think. Including black and white.
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: August 08, 2005, 02:43:33 am
lol.

it did indeed.  i still can't see the alien??

Tips:

Remove black outlines, replace with darkest color available of the area it surrounds.
Remove dithering on the flags, we'll do something else there (if you have curtains look at them if you want to get in and try it first)

Offline ehwhy

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: August 08, 2005, 04:18:23 am
Coloring is done, more or less.

Lief: I wasn't sure what you meant about the foreground and background meeting.  As I see it, there is no area where they do not overlap - could be wrong however.

Ireland: Thanks.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #77 on: August 08, 2005, 04:41:36 am
ng:  looking much better, although you may not like it more yet.  We now need to color up those shadows on the ufo, its too grey.  make those darker sections a touch lighter to reduce the contrast.  we also need to darker under the dirt clump more.  the house has a linear gradient running down it.  make it more of a dark flat color. 

Bah, why don't I just make the whole ufo black? But I seriously didn't understand what exactly you were talking about there. I barely have contrast already. If I break it down more it would seem like one big blob... I'll work on the chunk of land and house though.

EDIT:

There, I darkened the chunk of land and the house.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 04:47:08 am by Negative Gravity »

aka: Zoomrix

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #78 on: August 09, 2005, 10:58:00 pm
I got a question for you guys.

Say this was made into a forum. Like with Leif and I and you had tasks and quizzes and lessons and stuff like that.. would you join, do you think?

Or.. do you think it would be too much like Pixel Academy was and it'd be "stealing their idea"?

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #79 on: August 09, 2005, 11:18:19 pm
I got a question for you guys.

Say this was made into a forum. Like with Leif and I and you had tasks and quizzes and lessons and stuff like that.. would you join, do you think?

Or.. do you think it would be too much like Pixel Academy was and it'd be "stealing their idea"?

no. just plain no. it wouldnt fly.
alexander