AuthorTopic: Pixel school  (Read 63431 times)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Re: Pixel school

Reply #30 on: August 04, 2005, 11:59:20 pm
Work on whichever one you like more at the moment.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #31 on: August 05, 2005, 12:29:22 am
Ok I got this first update. I did the grass accordingly to the sun's lighting. Then did it with lower saturation on the beam background.

Then I thought that it looked pretty bad and the beam was supposed to be a beam... not a ... dark beam  :-\
So rather than low saturation I increased the saturation on the greens. Think it looks much better.

50 colors! How nice  ::)

aka: Zoomrix

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 05, 2005, 01:19:39 am
Ok here are some things to step through, consider, and fix.

1.  Why is the under the clump of earth being lifted highlighted?  It would be in almost complete shadow, the sun is shining from behind it and a light is shining down on it from above. 

2.  The saturation increase is a good start.  Looks very cartoony so far.  What look are you hoping to achieve?   Removing the outlining has improved it dramatically.  Do the same for the UFO.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #33 on: August 05, 2005, 01:44:51 am
Well it started out as a cartoon before the coloring bagan I think. So I'll just keep it that way. I'll fix that hunk of land and remove the outlining.  ;D Thanks.

Alright. Here are two versions. I though that the ship looked very odd without the dark gray, what do you think?

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 02:14:08 am by Negative Gravity »

Offline ehwhy

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 05, 2005, 02:14:45 am
I need some help with dithering and things, so I'm joining.

Here's my alien invasion lineart.  It was done quickly, so I'll probably have to work on it more.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 05, 2005, 02:42:38 am
welcome ehwhy.

you have a very good grasp of tone and composition.  you have used several excellent techniques for introducing depth into images.

1.  overlapping form - doing this (and make sure you overlap it the right way, kiddies) will very plainly make something look like it is in front of the other

2.  atmospheric rendering - simulating the effects of the gas and particles in the atmosphere around us, and the effect they have on light as it travels to our eye.  Light will actually, at different times of day take on different colors as it refracts through the atmosphere.  Because of the amount of blue light that is scattered through our atmosphere this will often show up as objects in the far distance looking pale and blueish.

One more technique used (these may all just be natural, but they are still there and can be learnt from) is making the UFO objects the same color as the foreground terrain, creating the illusion by association that they also are in front of the background terrain, despite the fact there is no other way to tell this.  I would suggest making one or two of the UFOs (top ones) the gray to drop it back in the image space further than the other.

I would alter the terrain on right where background and foreground meet and touch, but don't overlap.  either move background up, or drop foreground down.  It is where the background terrain dips down and meets the foreground terrain before moving back up.

very good job.

ng:  the reason why it looks odd is because the darker gray actually darkens the entire UFO.  Without it the UFO is pale, and it should be a lot darker, once again the sun is on the horizon so what is lighting the top of the UFO?  It should be basically be night time up there... and we remember what happens at night don't we?

Offline Lmnop

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 05, 2005, 03:08:30 am
hey, back with some progress on my colouring attempt.
kickass lines ehwhy.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #37 on: August 05, 2005, 03:22:50 am

ng:  the reason why it looks odd is because the darker gray actually darkens the entire UFO.  Without it the UFO is pale, and it should be a lot darker, once again the sun is on the horizon so what is lighting the top of the UFO?  It should be basically be night time up there... and we remember what happens at night don't we?

It's a UFO you never know what it miight throw in :) Common if I make it dark it won't be the same catchy effect... It has lights on top :)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 05, 2005, 04:43:36 am
you little smartass.  ::)  its wrong how it is.  draw the lights if it has them up there, cause i can't see them. 
there is no catchy effect at the moment, there is a incorrectly shaded image.  add colored lights, and make it christmas time, but don't make excuses for not doing something.  i am trying to help you out.  ;D

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 05, 2005, 04:56:42 am

Ireland:  Good job so far. 
Tips:
Shade the inside of the cockpit, it will make the cow stand out more.
Where the dark shading is on left of UFO, it has a thin buffering shade.  I would pull this out to fill the remainder of that panel, as that panel edge line seems to be approx 90° around from the light source.
Is there any way to fill out darker areas more, and add a secondary lightsource coming around from the back? Maybe a purple or red?
Also, around the edge of the ufo it looks sharp.  Try darkening it slightly, to make it look like a flattened edge.  If you are ambitious you maybe able to get a curved appearance.  To do this you could simply dip the highlight down at the end so it rolls around the edge of the craft, and add a secondary shine a bit further along.  How do you feel about it so far? Any troubles?

Bel:  Hows yours coming along?