AuthorTopic: Pixel school  (Read 63408 times)

Offline Lmnop

• View Profile

Re: Pixel school

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2005, 09:56:55 am
first thing that sprang to mind was the same thing as what NG did, so i thought id go with something different.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 04, 2005, 12:23:27 pm
I'm afriad I'm to late? I've only had a years practice, and I really want more progression than I'm getting on my own.

Latest: (not including the load of 2 color drawings)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 12:28:14 pm by Godslayer »
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Lmnop

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 12:50:33 pm
1. Explain briefly what happens to our color perception at night, or in low light conditions and why.
At low light levels, blue and green objects appear brighter than red ones when compared to their relative brightness in stronger light. This effect is known as the Purkine Shift.In the Purkinje shift, the dark adapted eye becomes more sensitive to blue than to red as the retinal rods take over from the cones.When the light become brighter, there is another in hues, called the Bezold-Brucke effect. This causes most colours to appear less red or green and more blue or yellow as the intensity of the light source increases.

Is that adequate?

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 03:58:42 pm
Please kids, sit up straight while the headmaster and inspector are in the room!

Good points Helm, goat.

I feel for the small art they are doing / will be doing it will be beneficial.  It also leads easily into the anti-aliasing lessons.
MIIIIISTER EVAN!! PAY ATTENTION OR GET OUT! *throws handful of pixels at evan*
very good negative.  nearly top marks,  poor choice for crossover point though. :)

Lets lead easily into the next lesson.... which is...

a practical session!  draw up a small lineart, about 64 x 64 pixels on the topic of Alien Invasion (use your imagination). post it, and we'll do some C&C, then a quick introductory lesson on tone, then we'll color our pics.  I'll participate as well, so you can practice your C&C skills on me.  (I'll C&C you on your C&C).  If you wish to get involved, please jump right in and submit a lineart.

get to it!

YOU NEVER FRIGGIN TOLD ME WHETHER IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LINEART OR A SQUIGGLE.

(That wasn't real anger, don't kick my ass.)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 10:09:45 pm
Perceived Color at Low Light Levels

At low light levels, blue and green objects appear brighter than red ones when compared to their relative brightness in stronger light. This effect is known as the Purkine Shift.In the Purkinje shift, the dark adapted eye becomes more sensitive to blue than to red as the retinal rods take over from the cones.When the light become brighter, there is another in hues, called the Bezold-Brucke effect. This causes most colours to appear less red or green and more blue or yellow as the intensity of the light source increases.

Hey, thats slightly more in-depth than was required, but yes.  Also, as the retinal rods take over almost fully (the green receptive cones are the last to give up, hence the Purkine shift) night vision becomes less color sensitive, with less perceptual hue contrast.

What this boils down to while pixelling is that in shadows, or night, or low light, the colors are not just darker.  They usually lose saturation as well (or applying saturation loss is a good way to emulate the effect anyway).

Ireland, your lineart is good, and clean.  The cow will be small when you color it - good luck.  Your UFO is very pointy on the ends for a round object too (only by about 2 pixels i believe).  See if you can fix it, if you need help let me know and I'll post an edit.

Everyone get that?

Welcome to the class Bel and Godslayer.  If you have studied the thread so far, please prepare a 64x64 lineart on the Alien Invasion theme (no UFO's from now on... be creative :)

YOU NEVER FRIGGIN TOLD ME WHETHER IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE LINEART OR A SQUIGGLE.

Evan:  I said a WIGGLE not a squiggle OR lineart.  Interpret it your own way, thats what art is about.

Ok,  while we wait on the stragglers with lineart, first students start coloring pieces please.
If anyone would like direct or private help just PM me.

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 10:17:22 pm
Hello!

I'm glad to be on board.

anyway here's my very nasty alien tentacle monster from andromeda (mmmm tentacles) good thing I did a tentacle monster and not a UFO :). I know the tentacles suck (more than the rest of the piece anyway) but I don't know how they'll look until I colour them.
oh and btw, the monster is in the sea.

BeL

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 04, 2005, 10:29:59 pm
Cool idea Bel.  Has potential for larger piece.  Monster looks very nasty doesn't he?  slightly flat, but we'll fix that with the coloring.

Students, look at Irelands work, or rather his choice of focus.  See how he has focussed on one larger object?  For a small image size such as 64 x 64 you will find that you quickly get cramped trying to place accurate pixels for the whole canvas.  Even the best artists find it hard working on really small pieces.  I'm pretty sure Mr Helm will back me up on that. (Mr Helm is the school inspector for any students who don't know him...).

These ideas all have potential, but for now we might do some modification.  Bel, I want you to zoom in on the monster... get creative with the composition.  Pretend you are viewing the image through a camera, looking for an action shot.  "Yea baby, work those tentacles... thats it.. give me a raaah!!".  Example:  From behind the monster at a low angle (over shoulder shot) looking at tasty people on shore.

NG, the effect of the house being ripped from the ground is lost when the house is only about 4 pixels wide.  The idea is good but won't work well on such a small scale.  You zoom in, find an area that you want to focus on.  Maybe the house being lifted in a bright beam of light, as aliens are pretty much patent holders on the technology there would be no doubt as to what it is caused by.

Good work so far everyone.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #27 on: August 04, 2005, 10:49:43 pm
Dang, I only saw your critique on the hung of ground being torn away after I've got some coloring done. I'm not really sure by what you mean but the idea is that the aliens are using their beam to tear away the hunk of land and there happened to be an ice-cream shop on that piece of land  ::)

here is my progress. I think I over did it with the colors...

27 colors + black and white = 29  :-[

aka: Zoomrix

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 11:01:39 pm
lookin good so far, just stick with that. 

Get the house brighter... there is a 10000 watt lightbulb on it at the moment... get the roof white, dark shadows under it... the grass on hunk of land bright, under hunk dark
Light the circle of land up.
Ditch the black outlining.  Looking good ng...

Don't worry about color count, im not a pre-90 IBM.
(keep it under 64 for god sakes...)

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 11:57:20 pm
Did another update before saw your critique. I've only done the coloring on the ship and sky for that one. For this one I did a big on the hunk and the house. I'll try your suggestion/critique.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 11:59:32 pm by Negative Gravity »

aka: Zoomrix