AuthorTopic: Pixel school  (Read 63268 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Pixel school

Reply #100 on: August 11, 2005, 08:57:33 pm
Nice post there Helm. Tho the scene is not dead, it is alive and kicking, but the oldskool stuff like pixelpushing became a very small part. Not really state of the art anymore. But hopefully there will always be some that still do it. I know i love pixelart and so does Helm. LONG LIVE OLDSKOOL!!!!!!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #101 on: August 11, 2005, 09:04:40 pm
if it ain't pixel art artwork, it ain't demoscene artwork.

okay okaaayy there IS a current demoscene, but the focus has shifted.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #102 on: August 11, 2005, 10:03:23 pm
That no copy website show its images as jpgs; you said that the demoscene had a lot of pixel pushing, though. Do you have any urls to sites that show demoscene art in the proper pixel formats?

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #103 on: August 11, 2005, 10:17:16 pm
the only way i considered myself a teacher was that i was 'teaching' a few of the newer ones around here.  have a good guess why i didn't profess to be able to teach anything other than newbies?  because i am not much past that level myself....
The only qualification I had was a bit of spare time... but heh, even thats gone now.
in reality, no long how we pixel for we will never be much past 'newbie' level will we?  theres always those stray pixels to tidy up, as we get better we just get more skilled at recognizing stray pixels.
I look up to your skills as much as any demoscene artist Helm (and Ptoing, and countless others here), and it hurts to receive a lesson, I guess.  I liked the demoscene lesson, mwahahhaa you cannot stop the teaching beast I have created...

Offline ehwhy

• View Profile

Reply #104 on: August 11, 2005, 10:34:27 pm
Thanks, Helm, that clears things up a lot.  This is very interesting... I'll look around and see what else I can find relating to it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #105 on: August 11, 2005, 11:32:28 pm
That no copy website show its images as jpgs; you said that the demoscene had a lot of pixel pushing, though. Do you have any urls to sites that show demoscene art in the proper pixel formats?

Yes. www.gfxzone.org

Knock yourself out. Read the Danny interview when he quit the scene. Look at Cyclone's work, Lazur's, Made's etc etc just remember that most of the awesome pics are copies. But amazingly made copies at that.

the only way i considered myself a teacher was that i was 'teaching' a few of the newer ones around here.  have a good guess why i didn't profess to be able to teach anything other than newbies?  because i am not much past that level myself....
The only qualification I had was a bit of spare time... but heh, even thats gone now.

No worries, lief. I understand. Just nitpicking, really. If you think my choice of words was unfair to you, I apologize and retract. Just trying to keep things in perspective because art forums easily get caught up in their own inner worlds. Remember to look outside, to the real best artists, and to try to outdo them, not helm or ptoing. We're small fry.

in reality, no long how we pixel for we will never be much past 'newbie' level will we?  theres always those stray pixels to tidy up, as we get better we just get more skilled at recognizing stray pixels.

It's true that you can pixel a piece for a long time and never be sure when it's done... but the pieces DO get better. I've been doing this for 10+ years and the last two of them have been a huge leap for me so there's hope

I look up to your skills as much as any demoscene artist Helm (and Ptoing, and countless others here), and it hurts to receive a lesson, I guess.

thanks, but we're easy (I'm the easiest, specially. Just smile at me and I take you to bed). work at it for 6 months and we're woosh, way in the back. Then set your sights to Cougar >: P

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #106 on: August 11, 2005, 11:56:26 pm
*smiles at helm*

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #107 on: August 12, 2005, 12:31:10 am
For me, it's hard to look up to these demoscene artists in any other way than the technical aspect, seeing as so many of the great pieces are copies.  Part of being an artist (to me) is using your abilities and techniques to inject your own creativity and style into your art.  It's like a painter who spends so much time on a painting that it looks photorealistic.  That's great, a lot of technical skill goes into it, but you might as well take a photo.  When looking at drawings and paintings from reality the ones that are interesting to me are the ones that exaggerate some feature, use odd colors, etc... the artistic license kinda stuff.  Sure, I can admire the demoscene guys as pixelmasters, but I don't think I could admire them as fantastic artists.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #108 on: August 12, 2005, 11:29:00 am
tell you what Darien. Do a copy of a picture like that, so it looks even BETTER than the real art. And then I'll agree with you.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #109 on: August 12, 2005, 05:54:18 pm
What does my individual ability have to do with it?

Could I see some of the original art?  I couldn't find any on the site.