AuthorTopic: Pixel Portrait :D  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Pixel Portrait :D

on: December 11, 2007, 08:16:45 pm
I have always wanted one, and well, I didn't think I was capable of making one, but I just went ahead and tired anyway. And I'm fairly happy with my result, but I still need help. I'm stuck on the nose/lips. >:(

To be honest I dont know why i did it in black and white, I guess i'll just add the color once i'm done.  But yea, not to happy with the nose, and I cant seem to make the lips look good.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:31:27 pm by Chaos Tayoko »
Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Re: Pixel Portrait :D

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:37:20 pm
well i tred to make the lips, not too happy..

and Ninja ME! a.k.a. runing away from the problem... hah kinda looks like kakashi

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:56:55 pm
Hey Chaos, very nice start :)  I wouldn't feel bad about starting just with grayscale, IMO this is a fine way to separate the challenge of value and color, and most serious painters do a charcoal value study before they start slopping paint around anyways.  That said, your values are pretty good here but I feel are too close to the photo to be engaging or as helpful as possible.  Now that you've recreated lighting similar to the photo, think about how you can tweak it to give the image more depth, and communicate the basic forms you are rendering more clearly.  E.g. currently the nose, jaw, and neck all appear to be on basically the same plane; how can you use the basic grayscale values to help distinguish these forms?

I think the image could also benefit from cleaning up some of the noise, and working with larger areas of value.

great start!

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:01:20 pm
yay finally some good CC. I think I understand what your saying. So now what I should do is, make the lighting a bit more dynamic, that way the forms are defined better?  ;D

*edit*

Ok, I took that into consideration, and Avoided looking at the picture. and...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:52:18 pm by Chaos Tayoko »

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 09:47:11 pm

I think theres too much of a jump to black and every other shade is too close so you can't really make out any shapes without looking really closely, I think you could do with messing around with the values a bit, I had a go for ya and tried to show you how I'd put this into practice. Not totally edited this only concentrated on small areas.

I've just tried to bring the shades together more so you are free to make full use of your palette. A bit like this, your pallete to the left and mine to the right, im only roughly guessing though this isn't accurate placing of urs and my palette..  :-[

you're doing great though, you seem really determained to be a better artist chaos.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:50:58 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:33:01 pm
Lets call this trail & error 1  :(

Your advice was harder to apply than I thought. really hard ... And My edit had no where near the same effect as yours. But I'll keep trying.