AuthorTopic: zelda'like character help  (Read 3612 times)

yosh64

zelda'like character help

on: December 13, 2007, 11:12:50 am
hey

Well I'm trying out for a Zelda'like game project, and just making some animations to show my abilities. But I wanted to get some advise, as this is the first time I've done these sorts of characters.

<- zelda reference + male/female characters
<- female downwards walk
<- other views of female (very much WIP)

I'm currently having a bit of trouble making the character look feminin in other views, and wondering if anyone has some advise on this?
The first sideviews (not in zelda'like perspective) were only done to get to know the characters.

Anyhows I gotta keep going.

cyas

[edit]: Fixed all the mess - Panda
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:15:02 pm by Panda »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: zelda'like character help

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 01:00:25 pm
Hair affects how people see the shape of the face:

If these characters are in the game at the same time, probably you should use different colours for each one. There are exceptions (tactical games, etc) but generally it's better if they're distinct, so the player can tell them apart, to show off personalities and basically just for visual interest. if they're just male/female versions of the same player character, like in pokemon or something, disregard that maybe.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:03:15 pm by tocky »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 02:00:13 pm
If you're looking to do a 3/4ths view game, I wouldn't use LInk to the Past as your only reference. While I love the game to death, there are quite a few bizarre choices that were made with the game's art.  There have been other games made since that far surpass LttP in terms of art quality.

I would recommend taking a look at Alundra: http://www.spriters-resource.com/other/other/other1/display.php?file=alundra.PNG

And Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories: http://www.spriters-resource.com/squenix/kingdomhearts/com/ (Particularly good animation references here)
I mild from suffer dislexia.

yosh64

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:39:51 pm
hey

Thanks Panda ^_^.

Anyhows I was just about to start with my walk right animation, and realised that I got the arms wrong :\. Well both the arms and legs come forward on the same side, rather it should be the opposite arm, hehe.

cyas

yosh64

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:42:10 am
hey

Just done with the walk down, and walk right animations. Hmm, I think I need to move/pixel a little faster on these, hehe.

Hmm, still can't seem to modify my previous message, was hoping it'd work again today.

cyas

yosh64

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 03:49:35 am
hey

Just another update...

Still gets an error page when I try to modify, and sometimes when I reply ???.

Hmm, probably spent to much time on this one already... hopefully it's okay.

cyas