AuthorTopic: GBA Sidescoller background  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

GBA Sidescoller background

on: November 25, 2005, 05:14:31 am

Meant to be a crack in the space-time continum. Don't think I pulled it off.
For a collab over at pixeljoint. White space is cause snader is doing tiles and I reckon once he's done I'll edit this and try tie everything in together.

EDIT: 6 colours though i only count 5. Must be a useless shade lurking in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 05:16:31 am by Akira »
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Re: GBA Sidescoller background

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 05:22:04 am
Lightning in space?
Well, I'm guessing the high saturation and brightness is due to the GBA's reduced saturation screen. Keeping that in mind, the moon is nice. the stars can use some variation in brightness, as well as maybe cross AA. The "rip in space time", well, looks too rigid. Think of a rip in fabric, and you should accomplish the right effect. "Rips" are not "cracks". Besides that, the stars moving towards the "rip" is a nice effect, though I think you should try to have them moving at an angle perpendicular to the closest, err, segment in the "rip".

Hope that made sense. And I'm not sure about your color restrictions, so some of my critique may be inapplicable in this case.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 07:59:58 am
You're are right. Rips are not cracks. If i had wanted a rip in space i would have drawn one. Lets call it a crack in reality then. I will do variation in the star brightness. I found that other shade and i'll use that. Might do some AA on the stars if it floats my boat.

Thanks for the crits
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 04:17:29 pm
For a rip or tear in space, refer to Loom.  (I <3 Loom)

Offline Mickey

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 05:44:50 pm
Your off to a good start with the scene, it's definatly in the right direction.
Im not exactly sure what a crack in space time continuum should look like but I think if you were to get rid of the large cluster of purple and dark blue around the lightning it would look better, the effect it's giving off - to me at least, is that it's sort of popping out sort of like you do with letters to make them look more 3dish, if that makes sense.
As well it's already been mentioned but some variety in the stars. Just taking some of the darker purple and putting random pixels in the background to make it look like distant stars - to give it more depth.
Here's an image I found on the internet thought it might be useful for some idea's with the stars.
http://www.noao.edu/image_gallery/images/d3/FullMoony.jpg

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 12:52:55 am
 Looks like space mountains. The colors kick ass. They remind me of the Great Battle 4 SNES's space bgs.