AuthorTopic: [WIP] Knight (and hellos)  (Read 3113 times)

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

[WIP] Knight (and hellos)

on: December 08, 2007, 03:43:09 am
Hey there, i've been reading this forum for a few months and can't believe how incredibly talented you guys are. I was inspired last night to pixel something, so i tried, and here's what i've got so far:

As with everything i ever do, i didn't know what i was shooting for at the beginning, so i started with a face, and from there just went with what came to me.

I'd appreciate any C+C you could provide, especially on the body armour (i'm Australian, so i refuse to call it armor  :)), since i cant decide if its any good or not.

Thanks guys!

(I've also never used photobucket before, so hopefully it works properly)

EDIT: Here's the latest version of him:

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:56:11 am by MikeG »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Re: [WIP] Knight (and hellos)

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:46:17 am
As with everything i ever do, i didn't know what i was shooting for at the beginning, so i started with a face, and from there just went with what came to me.

This is not a good process, unless you can see the finished thing beforehand.

On the armour, you are going from a-b-c everywhere. It makes the volumes hard to read.  You are going a bit darker on the chest towards the sword though, which is good, but not enough. The underarm holding the sword handle is too long it seems, and/or the overarm is too short.

Dithering could work on the chin, and hair perhaps, but I wouldn't use it to homogeneously all over the pic.

yosh64

Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:45:57 am
hey

Yep, I think you should at least draw a stick figure or silhouette of the pose before ya begin. Well I think you should start with a stick figure of ya pose, then draw a silhouette or outlines, then define the lighting, and finally onto details and futher shading :).

Hmm, I don't think the dithering is necessary on such a small peice, and I find it makes things harder to read :\. Also, I don't think it's a good idea to pixel with a black background.

Anyhows I done an edit to try help.

Basically I tried to better define the lighting and such, as I found it to look quite pillowy.

I made the legs a bit wacky to help persuade you todo them differently ;). Hmm, the neck slants back quite a bit in my edit, which I think might be a bit unnatural :\, but he must avoid the sword, hehe.

cyas
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:50:57 am by yosh64 »

Offline MikeG

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:54:43 am
OK, i got rid of the dithering all over, and i agree it looks better. I also tried to pose him as if he's saluting some royalty person going by. I'm not really happy at all with the armour, but i dont know why, so hopefully someone can give me some insights. It might be the hand over his chest.

I really like the way his face came out, and the sword arm, so hopefully you don't pick on those things too much :)

Anyway, here he is: