AuthorTopic: Security Cop head animation (need crits for the head cycle)  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Offline LuciferianSoul

• View Profile

Re: Security Cop head animation (need crits for the head cycle)

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 08:04:59 am
Uhh.. it's a little hard to critique the head cycle if we can't see it in motion. These are just the frames, not the actual animation.

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 04:29:30 pm
LuciferianSoul: He doesn't have to post an animated gif. A good pixel artist can look at a sprite sheet and mentally 'see' how it would animate.

Andy Tran: I resently made something like this myself. My advice to you would be to pick one design and stick with it. (From what you posted it doesn't look like one design from different angles, but rather different designs. I say this because none of the pixels line up. ie: the face mask is too high up on the top middle sprite.)

Once you have picked a design to go with, just draw the outlines of it. (You shouldn't even bother with trying to shade it or add detail until you have your design down.) Next try to picture the helmet spinning around. If you have problems 'seeing' it, try playing some 3d video games that have soldiers in them.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

tetsuya_shino

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 08:06:46 pm
I disagree completely. Until these are put into a moving format, I wouldn't know if there were perhaps little pixels sticking out of place, if the shading wasn't consistent at certain pixel points, and plenty of other things like animation weight. If an artist would rather have the people viewing their thread mentally form an animation in their head, then that artist should not be surprised when their topic receives little to no replies.

I agree with Tet's other crit about working to keep the design consistent. Might also help to have guidelines for important features so that when you draw the side and back views, you can more easily line up things. Could help once you've got the design down, to make another version that simplifies it with spheres and cubes, and use that to make it even easier to draw the other sides.

Offline tetsuya_shino

• Yokosuka, Japan
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 10:25:51 pm
I wasn't defending him for not posting an animated gif. Only, for me personally, I don't need to see it animated to spot the mistakes.

tetsuya_shino