AuthorTopic: luma...  (Read 2607 times)

yosh64

luma...

on: December 07, 2007, 01:09:11 pm
hey

This was inspired from the luma's of super mario galaxy. Well I think there is alot that could be improved, just not sure what yet... as when I look at it I find it doesn't look like anything special or whatever, or rather it doesn't completly fullfill my intentions.

Hmm, one thing is that I think the figure looks a bit off balance :\.

Anyhows I'll try to find things to improve, and try make the colors better or whatever. Any advise, crits or whatever would be great :).

I don't think I'm making much progress anymore or something, I kinda wanna go to the next level or whatever and I was thinking that maybe I need to try something else, but dunno. Any ideas would be nice :). I think I could greatly improve my colors. If only I could pixel as I imagine :\, I dunno. But yea, atm I don't seem to live up to my imagination / intentions or whatever if I make any sense. Anyhows they are just some thoughts I'm having :).

edit
I was just thinking... that it might be silly to think ya can get things right with just one attempt. I mean, if I want to get it nice then I should probably draw it from different perspectives, and get to know the objects/things I'm pixeling very well. Hmm, I will think about doing this.

cyas
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 02:47:02 pm by yosh64 »

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Re: luma...

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:40:08 pm
Looks very clayish. Which is cool because I love clay, anyways on to the critique. Right now the purple character is about to face plant the ground. He is out of balance. Move his left leg more to the right under the pink creature. Now his left arm is invisible, where is it? You should work on his pose a bit. I like the loin cloth thing and how it comes forward but there is not strong enough shading to show that it is closer to us.I think  you could lean the purple guy back and have him hold the pink character out more with his arms extended. That way he is in balance and you have a stronger pose to allow you to see the other arm. The purple guys neck also looks weird. All in all I think your shading looks nice. It could use a little work though, like does the fire emit light? If so I don't see it on purple's face. Useing the fire as a secondary light source (after you rework the pose) should also vastly improve this image. Keep up the good work. Oh yes the palette looks very NESish especially the dark color of the pink thing. I would suggest changing it to a different color. Not too good with that so just experiment or get advice from someone else. Cheers.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:00:48 pm
Hmm, one thing is that I think the figure looks a bit off balance :\.

That is because the figure is off-balance. Remember that the center of gravity on a humanesque figure is around the middle of it, so find it (around the abdomen) extend a straight line towards the gravital pull origin (the floor) and see if you think the feet, as situated can support the reverse support for such a pull. Simpler than it sounds:

I don't think I'm making much progress anymore or something

Sadly, I concur. What you need to do is break out of your rote, I think. These 3-4 color miniramps, this weird distended anatomy... You need to work on your art skills from the bottom up. The pixel art faults are not so important right now. You're pixeling within this largely invented 'fighter sprite' mode that restricts your growth. Abandon bad practises, learn from the beginning. 3-4 colors are not enough tp properly signify the volumetrics of a subtly complex shape as the human body. And the human body requires anatomical studies itself, not elaborate stickmen. Right now your art has a 'art naive' quality to it, but I don't think that's what you're going for, I think you'd like to be able to draw realistically and with concepts planted in observational effects. Pixel art is not what you should be thinking about right now, if you really want to become a better artist.

I know all this sounds a bit too much, but you said you felt stuck, and I feel you and I think I can see what's going on, so I had to explain.

yosh64

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:31:34 am
hey

I made an update based on ya advise :), and I'm more happy with it now.

Well rather than holding the luma away from himself, I wanted him to hold it dear to his face, so I tried to show this better. Hmm, otherwise you might think he is going bowling, hehe.

I think I will make the legs longer next also.

@Helm: I must say I agree, although I'm a bit confused as for what todo. Anyhows I'll have to think about things for a bit.

update

Hmm, actually I'm not sure about these updates... in ways I prefer my original. I'll have to figure it out.

another update

Just made a bit thinner, and shortened his arm :). Anyhows I don't seem to like the pose, so might change it.

and another

Just slightly changed the palette, and that's about it.

cyas
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:18:41 am by yosh64 »