AuthorTopic: Portraits - scientist and robot  (Read 6933 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Portraits - scientist and robot

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 01:53:30 pm
let's not forget Mr. Freeman......

I like these.  Normally I hate that godawful "ambient light that only effects one part of one side of anything" but here it gives it a nice retroy feeling.

maybe look up a few other skullfaced robos for reference?  i think you can lose the teeth
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xooxer

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 09:08:43 pm
I think you can improve the whole character role issue people are bringing up just by doing something with thier portrait backgrounds, rather than a flat color. For example, the scientist could have some basic sciencey stuff in the background, beakers, microscope, jacob's ladder. That sort of thing. The robot can have some circiutry, or electrics of some sort. Just a few minor details to show thier role in the game. I think that would really help convey their identities. If that's not working for you, scietists often wear black rubber gloves. You already have a hand in the view for the robot, shouldn;t be too difficult to add one for your main character. Not sure if it fits with your design, though.

~X

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 11:52:54 pm
Grrrrr.... I very specifically said that the character would not be redesigned. Consider the portraits finished, i will post some animations soon that you can crit. His face will only appear twice, this portrait and the dead sprite, so at the end of the project i will consider changing it.

Xooxer - good point about the background. However, it is a tds where the portrait of the main character will show whenever he talks. He will be outside, inside etc. so a background like that would not work imo.

Adarias - glad u like the ambient light, wasn't sure if it would work, they did it alot on 'hired guns' and so i wanted to try it. Might look up some references but i think it looks like a terminator robot enough already.

I wont be using this in the game but to all those that feel scientists need facial hair your santa gift comes early:  :crazy:

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:30:27 am
HAHA!

Seriously tho, both your colors and line art seem nice, now keep on pushing them pixels.
i

Offline Chaos Tayoko

• Pixel Ninja!
    • View Profile
    • Tayoko's Website

Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 03:14:36 am
haha very cool. Before you added the facial hair they looked like Rambo & Skeletor spoofs. Looking good, even though it has already been suggested, a bg for them would be kinda cool.
Who's is a cheap, reliable Artist? Me!
http://tayokoart.com