AuthorTopic: Portraits - scientist and robot  (Read 6932 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Portraits - scientist and robot

on: December 04, 2007, 09:37:55 pm
I'm making a TDS and these are two portraits for it.They will be used when a character talks and will be surrounded by a metal looking border. Any crits would be appreciated at this stage because i want to use the same pallete for portaits as game graphics. Also, is plain color background okay or is something else better?

The one on the left is hero - he is a scientist in the Arctic in the future. The one on the right is a robot. It has claw like fingers.
edit:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:28:56 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Portraits - scientist and robot

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:20:32 am
Looking great.

Just one small crit. The hero's neck looks to be jutting out like a second chin. Reducing the highlight, shading it darker and/or darkening the bottom edge of the chin more might help this.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 12:49:22 pm
The only crit is that they don't look like a scientist and a robot.
Maybe add a bushy beard to the scientist, or at least make him less main-actor-like by modifying the jaw, haircut and eye-expression.
Of course, this is only a suggestion, as you probably made them the way you wanted them :D

Palette wise, it seems you need another buffer on that gray-ish spread (between reddish and orangeish), and it shows on the hero's shoulder.
In fact, on several places it seems that you have more colors, but just don't always use them.
i

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 12:24:14 am

Thanks for suggestions. Fixed up shoulder and chin.

The hero does look a bit too much like Arnie and not enough like a stereotypical scientist compared to my design sketch. However, it is a shooter game, he is the hero, it is set in future where scientists 'pitch' their projects for funding, its a story where he has everything and loses it all. So I think it will be okay for him to be hunky.

Had a go at make it less skeletal and more robotic.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:08:14 am
Maybe add a bushy beard to the scientist, or at least make him less main-actor-like by modifying the jaw, haircut and eye-expression.
You need to play more half life.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 02:51:29 am
Because Gordon Freeman is the archtypical scientist.

I think you need to press for some feature that makes these characters more original, memorable, as well as to define them more clearly in the roles you've set. For instance, I don't think you have to push the skull thing so much, because people actually want to see skulls everywhere and nobody who isn't comically evil would make a robot that is an evil cowled skeleton deliberately - but you can suggest it with skull-like features, people will still get it. Basically, you can make it a lot more robot-like and the skull thing would still work, plus the character would be visually distinct from other characters that are basically skeletons.

The scientist should look more like a scientist and less like every other action hero. Which doesn't mean you need to soften him up, just make him not look like (arnie/val kilmer/duke nukem/that dude from wolfenstein). Make him scruffy or play the arctic thing to its extreme, or stick the goggles on him and fancy them up, or just add unique accents to his clothing or even just change his hair. Even just a big nose would do it. Just do something that makes him not that same chiseled crewcut good guy, again.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 03:04:10 am
Interesting points Tocky.

Sorry to have wasted your time, but I will make it clear now that I am not interested in redesigning the characters. Please restrict yourselves to advice to improving the image such as pallete changes, dithering techniques etc. Another thing, I am on a tight deadline since i plan to submit this to the yoyo games comp. So advice the will take a long time to implement unfortunately wont be used.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 08:26:21 am
You need to play more half life.
Why the fuck am I supposed to adopt another games aesthetic decisions? Especially since they are obviously rather poor and brought about by a bunch of marketing wise-asses.
i

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 11:28:52 am

finished portraits and added bars. Started rough hero sprites.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 01:29:29 pm
I like the fact that the scientist has a different look from the traditional "mad scientist" -look. Indiana Jones is a scientist as well, he's a professor of archaeology. Jeff Goldblum played a scientist both in Jurassic Park and Independence Day, looking like a regular guy. Then we have Mr. Spock and Data, science officers, no white beard there either.

But some sort of a hint of this guy's field of study would still be good..