AuthorTopic: [WIP] mobster walk  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] mobster walk

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 12:08:51 am
I watched The Godfather for the first time yesterday, well the whole thing in one sitting. And In comparisant these characters look a bit like two old men trying to look like italian mobsters. Just look up some pictures of characters of that time for inspiration.. I've made a quick edit of how I'd most likely go about it, didn't atempt the gun because I think it needs a total rethink from a strong resource to get it looking believable. The characters are pretty good I just think it could be better rendered.

>>

What I tried to acomplish is stronger use of lighting, imagining the light from above and a from the right. Taking too much reality into this could spoil it but I think the small effort gone into giving the characters some more dimention may help you when it comes to shaping. Think about where the light would hit, on the taller guy you've got far too much light seemingly hitting him from all angles making his shirt look plain and flat. I've also tried to make use of your palette and interlaced some of the grey into his face and trousers give texture and mainly on the face to rough him up a bit.. I think you could do with revising your AAing in places bacause this could look so much cleaner on the eyes with some care.

I don't think you should mimic what people suggest in edits with like how they suggest the character to look, because people all have different styles, take in how certain elements could improve what you have and try go one step better than suggested with a style you feel comfortable with. For example my edit may stray from what you'd probably of done so simply do what comes to your mind and remember the points which people mention to improve your skills.

keep at it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:26:04 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 01:36:47 am
right basically im a bit stumped on how to choose my pallete. Should i not be using a straight black on the outline.
Iv never done this before

some guidance would be great

cheers :D

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 02:10:58 am
i done a edit on the old guy, now hes older and balder and completely different from before.

I know its still in ur pallete mate, and ill change that as soon as i figure the best way of makin my own

cheers

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:15:36 am
Thats wonderful, its like the godfather packing heat.

Why not try from this, see what alterations of the palette you can make, maybe changes in the hues? try replace the darkest grey with a dark toned out colour to give it more interest.. I dnt know just experiment, you wont know how to go about choosing a palette until you just learn from your mistakes and see what feels right.

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 03:05:49 am
ok working on the colours, i made a variation of the guy witha  different skintone, more of an olivey look, still havent changed the rest of the pallete tho.some suggestions would be appreciated

cheers

bit more latino gangster now

jus spotted the missin shadow on the jacket. il sort tht

Please learn how to use the edit button instead of triple posting.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:42:41 am by Panda »

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 05:02:45 pm
you're not making the most of your palette, The skin shades could be used on the jacket, and vice-versa.. Also the gray could be used to smoothen the transition to black.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:05:30 pm by Terley »

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 02:34:04 am

Sorry I'm not giving anything solid, but this character looks so much like RipBurger from FT!
I personally find it very hard to achieve strong personalities with few pixels, so I congratulate you =)