AuthorTopic: [WIP] mobster walk  (Read 8272 times)

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

[WIP] mobster walk

on: December 04, 2007, 01:41:55 am
right, basically this is my character for a game im making at uni for a mobile device (gameboy or phone  etc..) so its gota be low pixels

heres my basic walk sequence, im thinking about adding some bobbing  and iv got to think  about firing etc.

let me know what you think

cheers

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] mobster walk

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:02:55 am
Eh, the bobbing at this size may or may not work depending on how you do it. But the coat hem should be moving; it's dragging on the floor, and some movement in the arms, either the real ones or the coat sleaves wouldn't go amiss.

As it is it's verry static and it took me abit to notice that any of it moved at all.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:04:36 am

Edit on sprite rather than animation, since I'm not good with animating. Though one thing on the animation:
Not enough stuff is moving(when a leg goes up, the rest should too and when it goes down the body does aswell, for one), I couldn't even see he was walking at first.

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 04:42:57 pm
thanks for the feedback, yeh i had considered moving the coattail and the arms etc. but im trying to programme it with Processing (please let me know if any of you have used this) so wanted to just make a simple one first.

As for bengoshia, Woah! i have a lot to learn. in my defence i was tryin to make it a bit cartoony.. but that still beats the spit outta mine.

Currently im trying to learn how to get all this in my game but when i have ill add some updates. ill show u my backgrounds etc too.

CHEERS

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:58:03 am
Iv been working on a second character. I have used the pallete that bengoshia used and tried to shade in a similar style,

I was goin for a lankier kinda henchman guy with a gaunt face and big brow. I guess it knid of worked, looks a bit like a cowboy tho.

havent finished the gun but im jus postin up what iv done before i go to bed

cheers

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:54:27 am
Please don't take my edit and palette, this won't help you learn anything by you just copying me.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 05:47:31 pm
Actually, since the new guy is differently colored from the first, it's good to see that you can work under a pallette that you haven't made yourself. Working under restrictions is good.

But yeah, you really should make your own pallette. Try to improve upon what bengoshia gave you, and you'll grow.

Also, bengo, I don't think he's using your edit, he's just basing the new guy on him.

It's not 100% good in every aspect, but hey, some chameleon:ing never hurt anybody, it's a skill in itself. Maybe he's using blue magic and now have learned the skills you attacked him with?

Well, anyhow, bboybeatle, it's looking good!

I'd suggest you play with pallette to see if it's improvable. Shading on hat is weird. What shapes are you trying to convey? Face on new guy is great.

Then go over the old guy as well, we want to see what you can do with it, now that you've showed what you really can do, with the new guy O:
' _ '

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 09:46:15 pm
thanks for the crit jad, and yeh i will change my pallete when i start the next character from scratch, then redo these ones.

but i have finished the second guy in this style so ill show you that.

I changed the hat, duno if its better, and the gun was HARD

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 10:30:20 pm
Hat is definately better now.

You can't use bengoshia's edit on the first one and claim it as the 'final version', though, because it's not your final version.

See? (: Just checking to make sure.
' _ '

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 10:32:40 pm
The short guy looks like Quasimoto, the hunchback of Notre Dame. I like the look of the other guy, he looks like he's from Dragnet. Quasimoto is holding the gun very awkwardly. I don't even see his arms at all. Very confusing to be such a small piece. Try making your characters more curvacious too. Right now they are very boxy. Hope this has helped.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 12:08:51 am
I watched The Godfather for the first time yesterday, well the whole thing in one sitting. And In comparisant these characters look a bit like two old men trying to look like italian mobsters. Just look up some pictures of characters of that time for inspiration.. I've made a quick edit of how I'd most likely go about it, didn't atempt the gun because I think it needs a total rethink from a strong resource to get it looking believable. The characters are pretty good I just think it could be better rendered.

>>

What I tried to acomplish is stronger use of lighting, imagining the light from above and a from the right. Taking too much reality into this could spoil it but I think the small effort gone into giving the characters some more dimention may help you when it comes to shaping. Think about where the light would hit, on the taller guy you've got far too much light seemingly hitting him from all angles making his shirt look plain and flat. I've also tried to make use of your palette and interlaced some of the grey into his face and trousers give texture and mainly on the face to rough him up a bit.. I think you could do with revising your AAing in places bacause this could look so much cleaner on the eyes with some care.

I don't think you should mimic what people suggest in edits with like how they suggest the character to look, because people all have different styles, take in how certain elements could improve what you have and try go one step better than suggested with a style you feel comfortable with. For example my edit may stray from what you'd probably of done so simply do what comes to your mind and remember the points which people mention to improve your skills.

keep at it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 01:26:04 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 01:36:47 am
right basically im a bit stumped on how to choose my pallete. Should i not be using a straight black on the outline.
Iv never done this before

some guidance would be great

cheers :D

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 02:10:58 am
i done a edit on the old guy, now hes older and balder and completely different from before.

I know its still in ur pallete mate, and ill change that as soon as i figure the best way of makin my own

cheers

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:15:36 am
Thats wonderful, its like the godfather packing heat.

Why not try from this, see what alterations of the palette you can make, maybe changes in the hues? try replace the darkest grey with a dark toned out colour to give it more interest.. I dnt know just experiment, you wont know how to go about choosing a palette until you just learn from your mistakes and see what feels right.

Offline bboybeatle

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 03:05:49 am
ok working on the colours, i made a variation of the guy witha  different skintone, more of an olivey look, still havent changed the rest of the pallete tho.some suggestions would be appreciated

cheers

bit more latino gangster now

jus spotted the missin shadow on the jacket. il sort tht

Please learn how to use the edit button instead of triple posting.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:42:41 am by Panda »

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 05:02:45 pm
you're not making the most of your palette, The skin shades could be used on the jacket, and vice-versa.. Also the gray could be used to smoothen the transition to black.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 06:05:30 pm by Terley »

Offline Alonso

• View Profile
    • Heart Forth, Alicia

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 02:34:04 am

Sorry I'm not giving anything solid, but this character looks so much like RipBurger from FT!
I personally find it very hard to achieve strong personalities with few pixels, so I congratulate you =)