AuthorTopic: Christmas Competition Mockup  (Read 9675 times)

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Re: Christmas Competition Mockup

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 11:24:17 am
I'm still at school, but I've read the comments and I just wanted to add the girl was originally supposed to look a lot more tough. My version ended up far too innocent. I wanted the girl to be the warrior and the guy to be the more friendly mage.

And no arzosah, his name's not Phocas =P Both names include an L, an N, an A and a Y. The girl's name is two syllables, the guy's name is three syllables. You're making progress though haha.

yosh64

Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 01:25:35 pm
hey

another edit (changed green guys arm slightly)

Well I done an edit... took quite awhile todo, but it's noway near done or anything, but hopefully it gives ya an idea of things.

Basically what I tried todo was give a greater perception of depth. In doing so I mangled the background, I found the background to really clash with the foreground, so I think you need to darken, or redesign it or something as so it fullfills it's purpose to be a background ;).

I also tried to better define the lighting, and removed some details of things for clearity. Well I think you need to be careful with your color usage when it comes to lighting/shading, don't use the same shade for highlights or whatever for things in the foreground and background, as this ruins the perception of depth. Anyhows I hope this makes some sense.

Finally I changed the palette quite a bit, and gave a highlight shade to the red and green and such.

Anyhows I think that's about it.

edit
When I look at the green fellows arm, it looks odd, and looks like it's someone elses arm/hand? So I think you might have to adjust this or something.

cyas
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:43:40 pm by yosh64 »

Offline arzosah

• View Profile
    • Arzosah

Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 02:02:29 pm
@yosh64: haha even I don't like my edit of the girl XD I just gave it a shoot.

@Zen: haha well, I'll keep trying to get the names then ;)
Ah, a little thougher then - heh maybe she can look angry then.

I'll make an edit soon. Only have to finish some things and then I'm yours :)

edit:

used a mix between the original palette and tocky's. Changed the girl's face by removing the nose (removed the boy's as well) and gave her more "angry" eyebrows.
Also tried to give a shadow to her dress by using the already existing colours since you, if I remember right, wanted to only use 20 colours (max).
But stopped there since I can't figure our where the light is coming from O.o I want to have the light coming from the light globe the elf is creating buuut... I don't know. The girl and the boy have two different light sources so I'm a little confused.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 03:41:20 pm by arzosah »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 03:30:30 pm
yosh: my first edit was really quick and dirty, maybe ten minutes, mostly just as proof of concept, but yeah, the eyebrows clearly didn't work like I had hoped. In any case, eyebrows are still hell of important. No human character should be without them! I will have to do another edit now to defend mah honour.

Far as I know, eyebrows are the most expressive part of the face. An artist does hissaherself a disservice whenever they don't use them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:51:39 pm by tocky »

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 05:10:03 pm
I agree with you about the eyebrows, don't worry. I never intended to make them dissappear.
That's a good edit.

I forgot I follow an evening philosophy course, so I can't edit today, but I'll try to put all the pieces together tomorrow, before the Sinterklaas celebration.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 05:49:32 pm
That last wasn't intended as a slight towards you, Zen, really. It was just sort of a general lament, or it should have been. You seem to know what you're doing.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:52:02 pm by tocky »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 11:18:14 am
I take it by those characters that you've played MAGICAL DROP then?  :-\ A puzzle game who's characters are based on the Tarot cards...

Was that a scythe she was holding on the left... ? looks like death to me? and that one on the right... the fool?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:53:34 am by Panda »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 12:31:49 pm
Magical drop? No... (now I'm curious though).
Currently I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance... but I started this mock-up before I started playing again, so that's not connected either.

edit: here's what I made out of all the edits

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 01:32:27 pm by Zenobia »

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 04:07:45 pm

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 04:29:49 pm
*nods* I know, but I just can't figure out -how- to do it. How do I start to edit that?