AuthorTopic: underwater person  (Read 4716 times)

Offline locust

• rakblads terapi
    • View Profile
    • old page...

underwater person

on: December 01, 2007, 11:23:04 pm
did this tonight, what do you think of it? i dont know what to do anymore...

its pretty stupid...i was thinking of volume and form, therefore the wierd armor thing...turned out real skewed in some places...

update:

edit:

edi2t:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:40:28 pm by locust »
pay attention to backwards!

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Re: underwater person

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:02:54 am
Actually i think this is pretty cool, but if you were trying to work on volume, i dont think you succeeded.  everything except the body armor looks positively flat to me.  and the dithering on the legs looks totally wrong.
untz untz untz?

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 02:09:39 am
I like the idea and scene, i love how vast and flat the ocean floor looks, quite fantastical. The blade he's holding is horridly placed, especially against his oddly angled frame. It's plainly verticle, and highly contrasted, things that make the eye draw directly to it. Bad bad. The figure itself is leaning too far forward imo, even though he's underwater it would seem he's able to stand on the seabed and therefore it has some sort of similar psychics to above the water. Although i dunno much about that really, i guess he could be wearing iron boots and all. But the fact is he looks very unbalanced and awkward. His largest leg looks especially odd, shape-wise. Alllllso his helmet is really jaggedy, but i'm sure you realise that.

I really like the contrast between the red and the dull teal colour.

I suggest you take out the speech bubble. It's hard to read and just removes much of the interest of the pic for me, makes it seem to have less of an overall point, as if it's just a cheap 'joke'.

Anyway keep workin on it.  :y:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:13:02 am by Larwick »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 10:53:14 am
Simple design critique: the domed underwater cities? Take them from under the character and place them on the right side of the horison where the image is pretty bare, to create a secondary point of interest in the image and balance it out a bit. Speaking of balance, your figure is severily out of

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:13:06 am
As an experienced sub aqua diver I can tell you that RED does not show up underwater past depths of around 2 meters... it's the first color in the spectrum to be absorbed by the water. So that blood would actually be a dark blue... and the brown on the floor... well that would be more cyan of color...

The only way you'd see the true color is if you introduced a nearer light source, like a flashlight for instance.

The visibilty under there is awesome... must be a good 1000meters plus... the best vis I've seen is about 25meters at the Barrier Reef in Oz and that was a LONG way in u/water terms...  presumably your water is super clear with no suspended particles, krill, plankton or debris in it whatsoever? One tends to find a lot of silt on an ocean floor - and where one's feet contact it tends to throw up lots of it in billowing clouds...

Another thing one tends to see at depth is a notion of a visible ceiling... i.e. the under side of the surfce of the water... in your case your submariner looks like he could be miles down... in which case they'd be zero light and you wouldn't see a thing... Having said that you've got shafts of apparent sunlight streaming in so presumably it's not too deep? in which case, perhaps some kind of surface reflection might look interesting.

Ok, maybe I'm being pedantic, but if you were to do only one thing I'd say to ditch the colors... and push the whole image towards blue. And try for that ceiling idea.

Just a thought.

Nice try though.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 11:15:57 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline mattness

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 05:49:14 pm
Uh uh the situation looks funny - I hope it will never happen to Baccaman :P

About the boots, you could give them a more heavy appearance, or add some fins.
And the bladed tonfa looks too big.. why not a knife, or a speargun?

I like the last edit very much; however, not all colors turn to blue in depth (at least, not all togheter; if I remember well, red is the first).
Look at these:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ... (X-Com is a great game) ... so, you could try to use yellow on the armor.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:35:21 pm by mattness »
<<You chanted the Resurrection Spell. You've been revived in the Realm.>>

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:42:10 pm
yes you're right yellow is a good choice for underwater colors... that said that beautiful turtle picture with the butterfly fish has a local light source, so the yellows are extrememly vibrant... in reality they'd be tinged with blue - and don't forget the color absorbancy is dependant on depth.

The latest effort is terrific.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:44:30 pm by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 03:03:12 am
I really like this so far. Very moody. :D I think the armor needs a bit of work to look less flat, and his bleeding arm is too long. I tried changing the pose a bit so that he looks more balanced, although I suppose that also makes it less dramatic. I added more shadow and some highlights to the suit to give it more volume and some light reflected from the bright sand/mud.

Edit: Oh, and the blade could use some more blue since it's such a shiny, reflective surface.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 03:56:16 am
The latest is an improvement on the legs, but I still think you need to avoid blacking them all out and give them some form. Considering the arms are as much behind the body as the legs and they're not effected at all by blackness... it really seems as though you're just copping out on the legs.
I also personally prefer the blood as red. While not being realistic, it defines what it is. Right now the blue stuff coming from his finger looks like a tentacle or something.