AuthorTopic: Hi folks, help me flesh out an avatar?  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Hatch

• Half man, half human
    • View Profile

Re: Hi folks, help me flesh out an avatar?

Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 02:24:31 am
It also looks a bit like you hand-placed some jpg artifacts  ???

EDIT: I didn't actually intend for this to sound like a veiled accusation.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 02:26:48 am by Hatch »

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 02:56:19 am

I made this image to find out your method but in your explanation you already admitted to what is a partially-done colour-edit of someone elses work. I think you should work on some stuff from scratch instead.

PS. Telling pixel artists how to launch mspaint comes off as being patronizing and defensive.

PS2. On your comment about expensive software, here's a link to the program I use, which is free. Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:03:44 am by Lawrence »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 03:07:51 am
comes off as being patronizing
As does telling people off for overexplaining stuff when they've been asked to explain what they did in more detail. This dude is new, he doesn't know exactly what we want him to tell us.

(gah - hit the post button too early, more of what I meant to say here)
Colour conservation is important not because of filesize but for, uh, dicipline reasons. Pixel artists do it because it gives cleaner work, or maybe, because that's how it's always been done. Which is pretty much all we have in pixel art. Tradition and discipline is all that distinguishes it from, say, oekaki, or anything somebody made in paint.

Anyways, what I want to know is, why have you traced this, (understand that tracing is basically tantamount to high treason on any art forum) and why didn't you tell us you'd traced it, outright?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 05:27:18 am by tocky »

Offline chaosjinni

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:04:52 am
Hey guys,

I didn't mean to come off patronizing or anything, seriously. I'm not that kind of person. Like he said I didn't know what you wanted me to explain so I just told you everything I did. Also, I figured most graphics artists are working on a Mac or something aren't they? And why would they use MSPAINT when I'm sure they could afford better stuff?

Anyway, I feel bad guys. I didn't mean to start any drama. I wanted a genie face and everytime I tried to draw one, it came out looking like shit. So I thought I'd take one I liked and work it into something I could be proud of.

Look, accept my apologies? Will you?

Well, I took your advice and started from scratch. Really I just used the black and white lines and used 16 colors. I can't see using any less, maybe you can teach me how?

Here it is so far:

chaosjinni

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 05:19:54 am
Did you reduce the colours using some program? I can only spot about six, so you're using some that are nearly indistinct, where you could be filling out your pallete with more useful colours. You really ought to be picking the colours yourself.

You also ought to draw it yourself, and this is probably more important. The way you're dropping details suggest you don't know which of the lines are important, and the way you're shifting the shape of the lines suggests that you're not used to this style of character. I suspect that you'll get more ultimately useful feedback if you'd drop this version too and start from scratch, no lines or anything. Drawing old hanna-barbara characters is fine, but actually ganking the lines means you won't learn anything about why the designs work or how they're put together.

Offline chaosjinni

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2007, 05:45:04 am
Heh, quite frankly I can't draw faces. So I'm going to continue to work on this and try to understand the lines and color use as I go. Can you suggest a pallette I could use?

Still working, here's more progress:

chaosjinni

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 30, 2007, 06:15:33 am
I don't understand where you're going with this, I'd insist you start with something original and even consider going back to traditional means before charging into pixeling something like a bull in a china shop..

Theres a good quote by Rembrandt in the book I read a while ago - 'Start with the things that you know and the things that are unknown will be revealed to you'

It's very true id rather see you doing something very basic that gives you room to build, learn the why's and hows of pixel art. But most importantly, use of colour, lighting and definition.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 06:17:55 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline chaosjinni

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2007, 06:54:50 am
Working on a little definition now, trying to get some volume...

chaosjinni

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 30, 2007, 07:02:39 am
It's better to use full shades until you've got the volumetrics as you want them, and hold off on the dithering until you've got it down.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline chaosjinni

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 07:42:47 am
Full shades? Could you give an example?

Trying some different colors now...

chaosjinni