AuthorTopic: A Pixelation Selfportrait  (Read 15722 times)

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Re: A Pixelation Selfportrait

Reply #30 on: November 24, 2007, 12:01:31 am
i think is recomendation is more that you should simplify the shading and intensify the lighting.  try adding some sharper highlights and some deeper shadows.
untz untz untz?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 12:10:11 pm
You have a skin shade in there that looks too gray, and you're pillow-shading in those parts. The dithering on the face doesn't really work, so I'd get rid of it. And, as eck mentioned, you need highlights on the forehead, nose, chin and cheeks.

As for likeness, your jaw is still too round, your nose is a bit too narrow and the nostrils aren't visible enough. Your lips are also a bit big. I also think your ears need to be bigger. I don't think I got the shape of them right, though.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:28:55 pm by Arachne »

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #32 on: November 25, 2007, 10:04:18 am
Thanks for all your comments and edits, but im not sure if I want them.. Im very happy with the result, and ill keep it as it is now, more improvement will can be found in my next pixelart.. Now I can continue with fase 2, the cap thing, and than fase 3, animating.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 05:44:42 am
Yes. a reason you might be having so much problems with this piece is that the lighting on the original photo was pretty flat in the first place, so if you were to make a good pixel piece out of it you'd have to use a pretty unique shading to do that, and you're just not that far in your pixel expertise to do that.

Add to that, you dont really have any dominant face feature, your face is pretty well equlibrated and it's hard to make a distinctive picture out of it.

next time, try a more interesting angle and dont use the camera's flash...

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #34 on: December 09, 2007, 03:40:19 pm
Yes. a reason you might be having so much problems with this piece is that the lighting on the original photo was pretty flat in the first place, so if you were to make a good pixel piece out of it you'd have to use a pretty unique shading to do that, and you're just not that far in your pixel expertise to do that.

Add to that, you dont really have any dominant face feature, your face is pretty well equlibrated and it's hard to make a distinctive picture out of it.

next time, try a more interesting angle and dont use the camera's flash...

yeah, it was in a bad moment of the day, so the photo's I took without flash where vague, this photo was the best..

Ok, ill remember all this for my next selfportrait but from now on I DONT want any crits on the face, just on the cap, glasses and the hair, later the sweater too from this image:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: December 09, 2007, 06:16:16 pm
over aa'ed, jpegesque noise, and no value range.  You say you dont want any more crits on the face, but then you make the other elements have all the same problems.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #36 on: December 09, 2007, 07:01:04 pm
You say you dont want any more crits on the face, but then you make the other elements have all the same problems.
yup, I do  :-X