AuthorTopic: pixeljoint challenge - vista MSpaint default colours  (Read 9315 times)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

pixeljoint challenge - vista MSpaint default colours

on: November 29, 2007, 08:12:04 am
I figured, might as well have a go at this. Very rough so far and got a lot I need to fix. Just wanted any advice or comments to send me in the right direction before I get to far into it. Gonna add a huge monster of some sorts raging in the back, something like off Shadow Of The Colossus.. Making the most of the colours is proving very challenging, which is all the fun I guess  ;D .

erm before anyone points it out I am referencing from this photo of myself.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/5455/photoofmeya9.jpg

Im just experimenting really, so I wouldn't blame you if you said the green and blues don't belong, trial and errors the only way ill learn.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:51:33 pm by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: pixeljoint challenge - vista MSpaint default colours

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 09:24:10 am
So far so good, really. You have to stop dithering before all your volumetrics are in there and your palette is more or less finalised, though. I do think the green eyeshadow :P doesn't belong right now, but will you keep such a saturated green anyway? I'm not saying you shouldn't, but the bg is pushing itself in front of the figure by being so saturated. Isn't there a more dull green in the ms pain palette?

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:56:15 am
Apparently, this is the palette in question:

Apart from looking badly balanced luma-wise, the colors seem nice enough.
Don't think I'll try them myself tho, as I feel like boycotting Vista atm  :hehe:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:02:55 am by ilkke »
i

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 04:33:28 pm
Yea thanks, I need to concentrate on shaping everything before going into any dithering just cant help it, I tend to jump the important steps really need to work out whats the best way to make the most of the palette for this piece. No greens suit for the grassy area, I agree its too saturated I'll have to see if I can get away with using one of the blues and hinting in the green here and there.

Sadly I got a vista laptop  :-[ , funnily enough I've not ran into any problems. But it definately feels much more restricting thn XP..

Im on and off this atm but ive not slept in 2 days so dont be suprised if I just drop.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 05:26:44 pm
Update is definitely working much, much better. Work more and show us again.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:16:46 pm
Terley, sometimes I too rush certain steps, and there's a very nice method to avoid that.
I find that once you start enjoying every stage of pixeling, you simply don't rush anything anymore.
Maybe you should build a larger part of your image while in laying-out mode. Experiment a lot with which colors fit best, and scribble every highlight and detail, don't leave it to 16x zoom hardcore pixel stage. Laying out is much more fun if you're making a palette at the same time, but oh well.

Easier said than done, tho.
Seeing how I hadn't laid a pixel in a while, I desperately wanted to pixel something simple and lighthearted, something I would enjoy without any difficult lighting situations or tough decisions. I made this avatar, started an iso-city house, almost finished a larger picture, and made that palette-challenge mobster, and I just keep finding myself too involved and challenged whatever I do. No challenge probably means no value, but I keep on trying to do the wrong thing.
And it shows. Take a look at that mobster guy. When looking at other entries, I thought 'hey, this should be fun'. Once I finished designing the face, and 'solved' several critical lighting bits, I just rushed the cigar smoke and glow and hair and whatnot. The end result is rather dull. Now at least I have a good example of a bad thing :P

As a more concrete advice, try to stick a grey or blue on the left side of the face (our left), next to the hariline on the big patch of mid-fleshy color, as a sort of secondary light. It would freshen the pic considerably. Maybe there's a better color for the job, I'm just speaking off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:21:52 pm by ilkke »
i

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 04:56:19 am

I worked on this a bit more, still doin a bit of experimenting not sure if im on the right track it feels very limiting having to think to a more restrictive palette.. I'm trying to give up on any dithering or any whohar until I know i've shaped everything and definately know the palette use works well. Still to go into too much detail with the background thats my next step, my idea is to have a creature of some sort rampaging in the back (Jst a few second plan, still a lot to do). Im gonna have to stick to only a few colour for the background and hint shapes because as a lot of the colours in the palette are maybe too saturated for the far distance.

thx for the comments im trying to keep everything you write into consideration.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:58:29 am by Terley »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 05:09:03 am
Personally I liked the older version, though this could be a good way to go, maybe if the blue was where the red was and vice-versa, since the sky is that way.

Offline Terley

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 05:26:32 am
A bit like this? or even..

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 05:32:49 am by Terley »

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 09:16:47 am
These are all nice. Personally, I'd go for the last one, but replace only the rightmost pinks with the blues. It not only looks nice, but also makes sense.
Also, if I understood correctly that you want the figure in the back to be HUGE, then you better place it much further back. Like, on top of the horizon, or even partially BEHIND the horizon, and surround it with buildings, or otherwise make it interact with stuff that we know are large-scale.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:19:41 am by ilkke »
i