AuthorTopic: [WIP] Riley Freeman Sprite C+C  (Read 5917 times)

Offline roseille

• View Profile

[WIP] Riley Freeman Sprite C+C

on: November 29, 2007, 05:29:08 am
Hey everyone. I'm new here, and I was told by one of the guys at MugenGuild, that if I wanted a serious critique, I should come here. These are just keys for Riley's neutral stance. Be as brutal as you want, because I want to know what's wrong, so I can stop doing it before I have an entire sheet of shoddy sprites. I'm still trying to get the hang of anti-alias, so I haven't applied it yet. A quick question regarding AA: Would I get the same result by using another shade instead of transparency?

Update:

Haven't worked on the shirt much yet. Animation finals *bum bum BUM!*
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:06:13 am by roseille »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Riley Freeman Sprite C+C

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 06:14:48 am
Make his hands fists for one. Also study up on some fighting animations:
http://www.newwavemugen.com/~zweifuss/
If you want to save time, you might want to make him smaller as well.

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:38:48 am
Instead of just moving, it appears his upper arm (what is that? @__@ lol I guess I should learn the terms before trying to crit something....) appears to change size. O: Like, the shoulder and elbow move toward each other. .__o trippy

Offline roseille

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:39:34 am
Make his hands fists for one. Also study up on some fighting animations:
http://www.newwavemugen.com/~zweifuss/
If you want to save time, you might want to make him smaller as well.

Nope on the fists. That's how his stance is. The sprite is based on the animation in the intro. I have a gif of it.

He actually does fight like that. In fact, there's an episode called... "Tom, Sarah, and Usher", where Tom gets beat up by a girl fighting like this.

I know the site, and I'd certainly like to make sprites that smooth, but I'll work my way up to it. Dudley's stance has 48 frames! What I'll probably do, is get the basic stance that's been keyed, then sometime later add a foot switch, or something like that. Thanks for the source, though. With the sprite size, I actually find this to be easier to work with.

Instead of just moving, it appears his upper arm (what is that? @__@ lol I guess I should learn the terms before trying to crit something....) appears to change size. O: Like, the shoulder and elbow move toward each other. .__o trippy

I see what you mean. I think I know how to fix it, too. I'm thinking that having the shoulder roll forward instead of coming down so sharply might do the trick.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 09:21:16 am
I think the animation works well for just 3 frames, you could plot in the inbetweens if you wanted it to look much smoother on the eyes. Its the actual pixel art of this that really need the improvements though, needs some AAing here and there and you desprately need to research clothing because that tshirt has no folds, and could massively improve this if you have the clothing moving like it would do.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 05:34:31 pm

like the one on the right maybe? it'd be more interesting, the other way shows mostly just back.

eye/brow is a bit off. deeper cornrows. subtle change to the neck.

refs from youtube.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 01:49:09 am
seriously, he's attacking with the little finger?
i'm sorry, but I think his pose is silly.. alteast the fingers, the rest of the body is great.
I mean, the little finger of the hand is really vulnarble to anything. So don't make that the attacking thingy of that char,
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 02:04:05 am
What! Crazy talk!

Pinky-foo is the powerfullEST of all fighting styles! You will not underestimate! Only succumb to the great fighting true spirit burning power!
' _ '

Offline roseille

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 08:51:22 am
@Tocky
Actually, what I think I'll do is use both poses! It'll definitely help him look more animated. I just saw the newest episode, and he definitely needs to bounce around more. Thanks for the tips.

@Terley
Yeah, I'll get right on the folds first (before adding more frames), then try my hand at some AA.

@Elrinth
I don't think I'll have him actually hit like that. The punches will be actual fists, but the ghetto...ness(?) of that as a fighting stance is too funny not to use.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 12:10:42 am by roseille »

Offline roseille

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 12:11:14 am
Bumpdate: Shaded the pants and added some more frames. Also subbed in the face tocky supplied for now. I'm going to give him some sort of smirk later.