AuthorTopic: Christmas Tree  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Preed

• View Profile

Christmas Tree

on: December 04, 2007, 05:23:20 am

made in ms paint. and sorry, no ornaments or star yet.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 05:24:56 am by Preed »

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Re: Christmas Tree

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 05:27:34 am
Umm.
Last I checked, trees weren't in three perfectly shaped cones stacked atop each other.
I suggest you study some real trees.
But I guess I shouldn't really be talking, as I can't do trees. @__@

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 05:46:12 am
I love the shading you have on the tree.  It's got a great sense of lighting and color that I think gives it a great environment.  Also there's some subtle perspective changes in each of the levels of the tree that just makes it look great.  One problem that I see is that it's mirrored, which means the light is coming from the top-down.  You should give more thought to the environment where the tree is placed (a Christmas tree outside?), and where the light is coming from.  The only location for a Christmas tree I can imagine the lighting coming from directly above is a streetlight.  So think about where you really want the tree to live, and then give it a suitable light source.  (I hope you keep those colors, though.  They're great). 

Also, Aelyrin's right in that a real Christmas tree doesn't work like that.  Usually it's a lot thinner (meaning it's easier to see the trunk), and less like fur.  The branches are perfectly straight, and they actually stick up (unless you have some pretty heavy ornaments).

This calls for a reference photo!

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 09:50:55 am
Although guys, it seems to me that Preed already knows how a christmas tree looks and is actually aiming for something less realistic and much more stylised. Saying that a few more 'cone-parts' squeezed in might look good. The way you've shaded the bottom of the 'cones' (especially the lowest one) looks quite pillowed. Also, i don't think the random-pixels at the bottom really work, if you're gunna stick with the fat OTT style i would make these withering parts a bit less random and messy. Stars may also work better if enlarged with some more colour, less like a wallpaper.

Keep it up.