AuthorTopic: Smile Face  (Read 5821 times)

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Smile Face

on: November 27, 2007, 09:47:20 pm
Hi everyone.
I'm new in these forums but no so making pixel art :)
i've made a work of my face (it's made based on a picture of one year ago) and now i've animated it smiling
what do you think? any crits well accepted
normal face

smiling face

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Re: Smile Face

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:07:53 pm
Looks almost a bit color reduced to me.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 03:39:40 pm
Looks almost a bit color reduced to me.
You mean that it has too few colors?

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 04:58:46 pm
no, it's when you take a photograph, and just digitally "turn" it into pixel art without actually drawing it at the pixel level.

Offline sarvag

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:07:44 am
so thats a compliment :)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:35:05 am

If that is the goal of the piece...sort of.  Generally what it means is the colors are desaturated, boring, and have odd jumps in the color ramps.  Usually there is quite a bit of bizarre dithering as well, but that's not present in this piece.  Frequently the shading is mechanical and unpleasant.

These piece exhibits most of these traits - especially very odd, desaturated ramps.  The animation I think is fairly effective, just give those colors some love!

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:36:34 am

Well actually Ryan was really hiding a question within his comment, simply: "Is this really hand-drawn pixelart or did you colour reduce a photo?".
If it was a compliment i imagine he would have said "this is so well pixelled, the detail makes it look almost like a photo"...

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:59:09 am
This is the second forum that says that it is a photo desaturated. :S Well its actual pixel art! I think I shall take it like a real compliment lol
I can't upload the original photo cuz I have it in another computer out of my reach at the moment, but I'll upload it as soon as I can.

What do you guys mean by boring colors?

The animation makes me look younger and older at the same time lol

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 02:53:15 am
->
Take note, it's by no means a great edit,
Skin tones are the most difficult colors to get right, I think. Your other thread has much better colors for the skin, having a more competent value range and higher saturation.
Another problem with this is the bright blue in the background, which drowns out the warm colors on the actual portrait.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:03:23 am
-> ->

Okay, there's lots to talk about. First of all I have to tell you that your piece puts out such a wonderful mood, something like a summer photo of a friend I haven't seen in years, that sort of thing. There's technical critique forever, but there's no critique for catching 'spirit'. In that you have succeeded and I applaud you for it.

Now things you might find interesting. Your original piece suffers from some issues. Lack of contrast is one (which Gil's edit fixed to a degree), lack of luminance range is another. It's not the same thing as the contrast fault. You have closely packed middle shades, no highlights and no darks to speak of on the skin. This creates a very strange sensation as if the hair is not really on the head, but is floating, same for the eyebrows, eyes and muth ridges. The jump is just too sharp, such lighting conditions do not occur easily, and though a stylistic choice could be good enough reason to accept and move on, you really don't 'sell' it very well, technique wise.

You needed more buffer shades, a fuller ramp from dark to light, so you can AA edges but also more importantly, create more levels to express the volume of your piece better.

The monochromaticism you had going on your original is a choice. I dothings differently, but they're no more correct than your attempt, so my colors are just there as a reference to 'how else I could do it', not a real critique. Same goes for dithering. The piece would look fine without any dithering, it's just a blending embellishment. If the volumes are good, the piece works with and without dithering. Keep this in mind anyone that overdepends on dithers to convey detail and interest. Study how a rock is formed and hit by light, don't study the texture of a carpet, so to speak.

What however I really feel needs to go are those sharp 'selout' pixels on the edge of the jaw. I really don't see them adding anything to the clarity of the jawline, they're only unpleasant for me, though others might disagree.

That's most of it as far as I can tell. I might update the edit for likeness reasons once you show us your photo.