AuthorTopic: [WIP] PyramidHead  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: [WIP] PyramidHead

Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 01:25:15 pm
So far the lower half of the body is far more successful than the upper half.

The reason for this is that you are less familiar with the forms, shapes and colors that are happening on the lower half, so you replicated the reference much more faithfully. On the upper half you saw an arm and said "Okay, I know how to draw an arm, I'll draw an arm", and you seem to have branched off and drawn it the way you think it should appear instead of the way it actually is. The best example might be the head - you duplicated the basic form but then you sort of filled in the blanks as far as lighting and texture go instead of continuing to study your source.

I'm not saying that it's good to always follow your source 100 percent of the time. But it IS important to be able to look at a reference and see clearly the shapes and colors that compose it, and understand why it works.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 01:29:32 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 06:12:32 pm

I think the shapes and anatomy should be taken care of before the colors. My edit is probably a bit too big but it's to scale. You can see the arm is less hooked like yours and it's not suffering from pop-eyeism. I don't know what else to say so I'll stop. Keep an eye on your reference, use it as a guide.

Offline Reldros

• 100 years of rain.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 07:23:38 pm
The forearm carrying the blade is a bit thick near the wrist.
Also, the crotch is too high and too dark.

Those are the most prominent flaws that I can see.

:mean:

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:56:38 am

I think the shapes and anatomy should be taken care of before the colors. My edit is probably a bit too big but it's to scale. You can see the arm is less hooked like yours and it's not suffering from pop-eyeism. I don't know what else to say so I'll stop. Keep an eye on your reference, use it as a guide.

thats really good but i think the arm is a bit too short (seems like it...in comparison with the other one, that is) and the shape of the sword a bit off :x just a tiny bit
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:58:32 am by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 06:15:15 pm
The arm is a bit too short and the halo around the bright areas is very small. make it in some place a pixel wider.

Offline lilwing

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 06:41:38 pm
the sword arm should be much longer and a little lower. the forearm with the arm in that position should appear larger than the upper part of the arm. more contrast to indicate muscles. sword shape is not quite right. get rid of contour lines and outlines. do the carcass that he is dragging from the original picture. you also missed  some shading on the head. much work for you to do yet!