AuthorTopic: rpg type sprites - match style  (Read 8302 times)

Offline BG

• View Profile

Re: rpg type sprites - match style

Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 11:11:22 pm
1: the facial features (no white in eyes, noses are visible, ears are large, etc).  take note of which features are included and exagerated.  the dued with the hammer has large ears, nose, and 2-pixel eyes.  your girl has larger eyes, a fatter face, almost invisible ears, no nose, etc...

It's true as you say about those differences, but there's also the fact that sharprm made an attractive young girl, and not an old man/dwarf blacksmith. Redusing noses and making eyes and ears smaller are common ways of increesing beuty and cuteness. You can't have a young girl look exactly like an old man.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 11:19:34 pm
sharprm: What I was trying to do with the monster and character sprites - was to keep a consistent style throughout. Look at the characters' heads and the dwarves' heads for example. Most monsters with human features are based off the character bases. I would try and use the female base for the Hooker for example. Might help with matching over-all skin tones and facial features as well. The Pirat doesn't really match the style of the other rats either. Take a look at their legs, eyes, and nose.

Answering your question: I probably would have done it much the same, considering I would still have the same preferences from my employer to go from. He provided alot of style examples for what he wanted me to aim towards (screenshots from other games). I learnt a lot through working with the game of course. If I did it again I would have changed more things to do with the process itself. Is there anything bad with drawing attention to the fact that they are pixeled? All the graphics for this game are.

Here are some more examples of monsters from the game:

They are (from top left):
Boomerang Bat, Slime, Spawn of Lewis, Slime Boss,
Small Rat, Large Rat, Lieutenant Rat, Captain Rat,
Dwarf Rabbit, Rabid Dwarf, Dwarfed Giant, Phony Pony
Humangus, Minortaur, Majortaur, Bleak Dragon
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 11:32:55 pm by Mirre »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 04:29:46 am
Eck - ill do some more sprites in a few weeks that follow your advice.

Thanks Mirre-  Thankyou for putting the enemies on one sheet, it helps me out alot since I'm using an old program and only have to convert one file. I like how you dithered the dragon, i think i will make a DRAGon QUEEN. hehehehe.

About the 2 by 2 squares, ill put a few in just to match. Yet, I think that by having those, you draw attention to the fact that its pixelled when the real aim is to have the player forget that they are playing a game with pixel art graphics but be emmersed in the game. I think its like the movie "the player", where in the beginnning you see that clapper thing they use when shooting a scene, its breaks the suspension of disbelief.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 08:26:37 am
If you look carefully, you can see that I have only used such white, squared, highlights on one tone; the skintone. There is no need for me (or you) to use such a bright highlight on any other colour.

Oh, and those are not all the enemies... just my favourites! (: I'm going to put the rest on a transparent bg too.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 08:54:07 am
You've got a point about me using white highlights everywhere - thats a problem for hi-res games since it becomes harder to pick out the player.

Removed unrealistic bright spots and matched features of other rats. Guess broke convention in that he wears clothes.

I'm on a pc for the moment so no need to put all your gfx on a single image for me.

edit:

edit2: breaking style completely

« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 10:55:59 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 01:01:27 am
I really like the new edit of the Pirat and the stylebreak on the last edit there. Looks great! (: