AuthorTopic: Cartoonish pixel and first post  (Read 3443 times)

Offline NerdofChaos

• View Profile

Cartoonish pixel and first post

on: November 30, 2007, 04:12:39 am
My first picture worth posting.

Just a doodle really.

c&c would be appreciated ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 04:23:02 am by NerdofChaos »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Cartoonish pixel and first post

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:12:40 am
Instead of a quick doodle, why don't you make a 10-20 minute piece, perhaps using reference of a person or something. I want to see your actual drawing ability, I want to help you improve at art, the only way I can do this is if I see you at your best.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 06:08:33 am
what exactly do you want to learn from this? it doesn't look like you've started at a point of challenging yourself to produce something worth doing, the point of this forum is to give you advice and honest opinions on how to improve your artwork. Sticking to that, theres not much I can say to sugarcoat the fact that I'd most likely suggest you take another approach. This is such a free way to produce artwork and you've decided to create such a generic cartoony head, why not try be a bit more daring and plan out a scene or even work on a character portrait so we can at least push you in the right direction.

Theres not much we can say about this, its pretty flat and could use a palette re-think.. Any improvement to the finalisation will of course round it off to completion but its the inital drawing that needs improving.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline NerdofChaos

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:21:28 am
 :sry:I'll pixel some objects and try to improve, thanks.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:04:35 pm
No no, if you want to really improve at pixel art and especially art in general, go grab an apple/other vegetable or even just a random object like a DS/PSP or speaker and try and pixel that(Or draw it and scan it in then clean it up and make it pixel art). I honestly don't think the whole "OH I'LL DRAW A SPHERE" thing will make you better, since you'll be drawing from your memory instead of what you see.

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 12:39:41 am
Funny head, so I've decided to made it in a good pixel art :=)

Well, NerdofChaos, as they said, if you want to improve your skill, the main thing is to learn pixel art techniques : Anti -aliasing, Dither and other...
and don't draw quicky if you want help, comments, etc...

I think that my edit could help you in Anti-alising and in "direction" : a sort of background for exemple to integrate the head instead of this full white...