AuthorTopic: A Simple Over Expressive Block  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

A Simple Over Expressive Block

on: November 23, 2007, 11:15:31 pm
Well, it's been... awhile. Well, more than awhile. This is more like a "HI I'M NEW" sort of thing, I suppose (seeing how I only posted here about 5 times and then resorted to lurking). Anyway, since my last topic (time warp), i've improved alot after trying to learn anatomy, shading, lighting, and the likes. Or, at least, in my opinion I have :P.

ANYWAY, 'nuff chit-chat.

Yeah. Figured i'd start small and simple. Also, I realise it's kind of.. well, mirrored. But, I really didn't think it would look right otherwise.

So ... C&C appreciated and all that.

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Re: A Simple Over Expressive Block

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:16:09 am
It looks alright, other than that the face is perfectly mirrored.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: A Simple Over Expressive Block

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:36:29 pm
Personally, I'd go with something more realistic, but whether you're going for realism or not, there are a few things you can change to add volume, for instance.

First of all, you have two very similar skin tones. Darken the darkest of them so you'll get a more even color ramp.

When you mirror something, you'll need the same amount of light coming from both sides for it to look right. You've moved the highlights towards the right, but if the light source is off-center, the shadows will also need to move in the opposite direction. The easiest is to use a top-down (or bottom-up) light source consistently, but if you moved the light source and fixed the shading, it wouldn't look so obviously mirrored.

The nose looks flat since it's just a bright surface separated from the rest of the face by black lines. Instead, use lighter shades for lines in brighter areas and darken surfaces that are angled away from the light. I'm not sure how much sense that makes, but the edit should make it more clear.

I'm not sure if you're going for something that sleepy-looking, but I experimented a bit and made him squint to make him look more skeptical. I also made another version with different lighting. :)