AuthorTopic: [WIP] Renegade  (Read 8688 times)

Offline MtŪ

• View Profile

[WIP] Renegade

on: November 22, 2007, 12:01:53 am

I decided to post some pixelart. So far it's 20 colors.. could probably be reduced to even less and i'm kind of sceptic when it comes to her weapons, so they'll probably be changed.
So have fun and crit away! :)

Current:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 06:59:20 pm by MtŪ »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Renegade

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:46:07 am
Quite nice but i think the dark color for her skin is too red. The boots seem a little strange in that it suggests she has huge calfs.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:56:14 am
This is really good. But if critiques is what you want, then critiques you shall receive. First is first: either choose another shade of skin color for the darkest skin color ramp, or scrap that dark red color all together and replace it with one of the pale brownish/purplish colors from her gloves /boot color ramp. I tried some and they worked great. Also, the guns are fine, however the bottom part of the gun you slide up and down to rid used cartridges, and ready the next shells, seems out of perspective( I know nothing of proper gun anatomy, so work with me here). You see, she's holding the handles slightly towards the viewer, however, the body of the gun seems to be sideways. Her fingers seem hard to read(basically HER left hand), and you may want to try and finishing the skin colored outline on her left leg, as well as the dark purplish hue on the back part of her "arse." 

Don't let this be a drag though, as I like this. It's very clean, and great. My only hope is that you don't fade into obscurity and keep trying to produce great pixel pieces like this in the future...please...
my back hurts...

Offline MtŪ

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 04:51:42 pm
Thank you both, thats exactly the kind of critique I like!
An update:

I changed the guns. I like them more this way and I also changed some colors like you suggested, so I think the color count is down to 18 now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 04:53:29 pm by MtŪ »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 05:03:13 pm
what is going on at the bottom lip? What are you trying to signify there? It's unclear.
I think the rendering goes towards too dark on the shaded hips. The texture and its shading do not mesh.
left (ours) gun hand elbow seems to suggest you're masking significant anatomical problems with clothing and accessories. The abdominal anatomy too, and definitely the knees. You've got lengths of the body down mostly okay, but you're not sure what the flesh bags have in them and how to approach those volumes. What you need to do is strip away the inessential until you arrive at the essential. Forget about anime chicks and fancy costumes and guns and look at the human form as a collection of primitive volumes under lighting conditions. When you have that down, start thinking about bones and muscles and fat and how they interact. Do life studies. Buy an art book. Don't learn art from anime and videogames.

Offline MtŪ

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 05:12:58 pm
what is going on at the bottom lip? What are you trying to signify there? It's unclear.
I think the rendering goes towards too dark on the shaded hips. The texture and its shading do not mesh.
left (ours) gun hand elbow seems to suggest you're masking significant anatomical problems with clothing and accessories. The abdominal anatomy too, and definitely the knees. You've got lengths of the body down mostly okay, but you're not sure what the flesh bags have in them and how to approach those volumes. What you need to do is strip away the inessential until you arrive at the essential. Forget about anime chicks and fancy costumes and guns and look at the human form as a collection of primitive volumes under lighting conditions. When you have that down, start thinking about bones and muscles and fat and how they interact. Do life studies. Buy an art book. Don't learn art from anime and videogames.

Actually i'm staying away from both anime and vgart when i'm studying anatomy or anything art related for that matter. I'm probably doing it way less than I actually need to or even want to. Thank you Helm for pointing these things out, thats definately what I needed to hear to get my ambition up to study more. Off I go to study. :)

Offline MtŪ

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 02:08:41 pm
I started to redo this 'thing' yesterday.It's not done yet but I'm just posting this up to let you now that I'm not letting this pixel die just yet. I'm here to learn after all.

Any crits on my progress so far would be nice.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 04:18:22 pm
progress so far is definitely better, pallette and face  especially.

however the arm anatomy is looking a bit odd, and there's some random highlights on it too.

also.. is that supposed to be a boob between her jacket.... the outline is too harsh.

Offline MtŪ

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 05:27:59 pm
Thank you Feron for your comment.

I did some more work. especially on her arm. Tell me if you still think it looks odd, if you do, please make me an edit and I might understand it a bit better.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 05:50:27 pm
I think she looks too masculine. If you want something you're not going to mistake for a man, I think the old arm was better and that it would help if you flattened the bridge of her nose.

Her head is also placed too low and the left side of her vest should curve more to make her chest look less flat.

Her pelvis is turned one way while her legs are turned the other. Flip the legs and make it consistent, or turn her pelvis so that its angle is somewhere between that of her legs and the rest of her body, if that makes sense.

Try to avoid placing highlights that close to the outline. It works where the zipper is, but it makes the vest look flat otherwise.

Here's a quick edit of the upper body.

Edit: Now that I think about it, what I said about the pelvis doesn't make sense. Just make the legs and the pelvis face the same direction.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 06:27:45 pm by Arachne »