AuthorTopic: Random Pixels (n_n hello!)  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Pickspy

• View Profile

Random Pixels (n_n hello!)

on: December 07, 2007, 12:18:07 pm
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:00:13 am by Pickspy »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Random Pixels (n_n hello!)

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 03:27:21 pm
What can I say, I'm a fan.  Can't wait to see current WIP's come our way.

things to consider! (it's a far shorter post to list the things that could use help than it is to list the things i like):

maintaining shape and angle in your rotation.  There are a few points where things change a bit.  The hair falls down in one or two frames (but it up for the rest), the scarf changes position (negligible really though), but the big thing is that the front and back facing images flatten to the viewer.

skulls.   a few things here seem to forget that heads have backs :P.  mostly just the standing one in stripes, but also to a lesser extent the portrait in the corner and maybe even the blonde.

try adding a color to assist your whites - just a little yellow or something to soften the squares i think would fit better with your style.

Like i said though, love the little collection here.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:27:36 pm
Welcome to the forum!

Your stuff looks quite nice, I like the girl with the hair shaped like a hand.
One bit of general advice is to be careful with your anti-alaising. When the outer edges are darker than the background it can look like a broken outline. Many of the characters with the gray backgrounds have this issue.
All in all you have a nice style and a good eye for colors, can't wait to see more stuff from you!
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 05:32:34 pm
The cow-eared girl sure have polished boobs! O:

Actually, the white highlights look a bit weird. If she hasn't oiled them in or something. Which is a bit naughty (:
' _ '

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:35:46 pm
Actually, the white highlights look a bit weird. If she hasn't oiled them in or something. Which is a bit naughty (:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your stuff is cool. You might want to post a piece that isn't so done so we can critique your process. As general notes I would avoid selout if I were you, and also perhaps invest in some style variation so I could do a lot of different things according to more emotions to convey than 'anime cool'.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 05:40:56 pm

Sweet shimmering Jesu i'm glad i wasn't around back then......
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Pickspy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 09:31:47 am
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:00:45 am by Pickspy »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 02:28:15 pm
Don't worry about the english, you're mostly understandable.

What I don't get is this... you say you don't want to make a shallow game with cute girls and that's it, yet this art is of shallow cute anime girls. Anime faces don't carry complex emotion well, because they're simplified. Characters with flamboyant extravagant clothing call attention to their outfits like fashion models and not to their expressive means, they body language and faces. What you've got thus far is great technically, but conceptually it's very shallow. I wouldn't say this but you brought up depth and emotion in videogames so I feel some obligation to tell you you need to step a lot farther from where you are to capture any human resonance.

what I'll tell you though, is that the two palettes chosen are very good and complement each other well, and you can read who the 'bad girl' and the 'good girl' are. But there's more. More you need to do. That you can't do with stilted DS sprites and glamour shot closeups.