AuthorTopic: This stuff really pi55es me off...  (Read 15941 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: This stuff really pi55es me off...

Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 10:32:21 pm
But there's no anime catering to the normal salaryman

To uh be all internet-ish and throw one anecdotal piece of evidence in the face of your sound and reasonable post, i think Porco Rosso was designed specifically for salarymen?

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 01, 2007, 03:16:44 am
The reason is simple: for them animation is a much more popular and wide-spread medium than for westerners.

Perhaps that's simply because of a higher population of otakus here, as anime still belongs only to the domain of Otakus in Japan. Unless it's popular anime that everyone grew up with like Anpan-man, Doraemon, Sazae-san, Chibi-maruko-chan, One peice, (no pokemon), possibly dragonball(z) and several others, regular people don't watch anime here.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: December 01, 2007, 09:45:54 am
Perhaps my knowlege is flawed. How many people watch what is considered a 'hit' anime show every week?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23:52 am
But there's no anime catering to the normal salaryman

To uh be all internet-ish and throw one anecdotal piece of evidence in the face of your sound and reasonable post, i think Porco Rosso was designed specifically for salarymen?

Miyazaki and Ghibli so doesn't count as 'anime' ;D ;D
' _ '

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 02, 2007, 04:08:10 am
Perhaps my knowlege is flawed. How many people watch what is considered a 'hit' anime show every week?

I haven't watched anime for a long time so I can't answer that. Most of what I have learnt has come from talking to English students, young and old over the years.
Apart from school / young kids I've just found adults have little interest in anime (naturally, although reading manga is a different story) unless they are geeks, so it's no different from the western world. Anime like sazae-san and chibi maruko-chan take up popular time slots (Sunday - around 6pm) and have done so for a long time. Pokemon / Naruto and all other anime have their own channel and sometimes I flick by that channel but mostly never recognise what anime they are showing.

Oh, I forgot to mention studio Miyazaki films, most people are familiar with and have watched these films too.

Here's a quote that I agree with 100%:

"Actually, I think Vanye's point was a bit different from your reading of it. He was saying that, unless you're a kid, anime is not naturally common in Japan, though it's probably more common there than American animation is here in the United States. While manga is ubiquitous, anime is still considered for kids and younger teens by most Japanese people, and if an adult in his twenties said to other adults "I'm a big fan of anime" I think people would look at that person funny, supposing he might even be an "otaku" (used here in the stereotypical negative sense, as opposed to the idealistic positive sense). Publicly expressing one's like of anime in Japan is less like a Japanese adult in America saying "I'm a fan of American sitcoms" and more like him/her saying "I'm a big fan of Tom and Jerry".

In Japan, saying that you liked a few anime shows when you were younger is not so conspicuous. Saying that you enjoyed the latest Ghibli feature is okay, too--roughly equivalent to saying you enjoyed watching the latest Disney animated film. Saying that you just bought the deluxe DVD boxset of Lain will possibly earn you a reputation as being obsessed and possibly antisocial. -_-"

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:19:39 am by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #35 on: December 02, 2007, 09:10:41 am
I see. I find it extremely interesting that manga is 'ok' but anime is for antisocial rejects.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #36 on: December 02, 2007, 06:06:21 pm
it's amazing how far off topic this thread has got... I might rename the "let's discuss Japanese popular comic book art and animation Thread"

Incidentally... I spoke to the chap in question when I orginally posted this... and, well... he was grateful for the advice but begged to differ on his principles... he's attempting to create a sprite within a game, that use a squillion frames played at 30fps that moves smoothly from any sequence to any sequence - fair enough if the whole things vector based... but I think there's gonna be a hellluva lot of frames if it's gonna be hard coded...

ho hum... I wish him the best of luck. If it weren't for people pushing hte boundaries then we'd never get anywhere if old farts like me keep people back so fair play to him...

As for anime... I STILL love Akira (even though it confuses the hell out of me), Ghost in the Shell (the first one) can't fault it, Bubblegum crisis still resonates for me, Spirited away (magical, whimical, lovely), Princess Mononoke (for the same reasons) and most of the other gibli stuff... I've grown out of the majority of the other stuff... having had to do a beyblades game, and done games specs for yu yu hakashu and yu gi oh and various other anime/anime inspired kids cartoon/merchandising/game carrying 'adverts' I have to say I'm with Helm... there are the exceptions and I can't fault the classics but for the most part it's derivative shite used to sell cards, toys, figures and shamefully video games... welcome to the 21st century media merchandising machine.

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com