AuthorTopic: Greyscale anatomy  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Greyscale anatomy

on: November 21, 2007, 01:04:28 am
So here is a male template I was doing for a game I discontinued, it was basically the screen where it would show what you had on where, no specific character details.  I think I got the anatomy down pretty well, but any criticism would be appreciated.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Greyscale anatomy

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 06:15:44 am
this reminds me of archaic art where anatomy was suggested symbolically but no naturally represented.

If all you want is to make art, then stylisation and simplification is ok, but if you want to learn anatomy it isn't enough to suggest basic lumps and forms where they seem to go.  this is not how the body is constructed.  rather, anatomy requires a complex understanding of the human figure as attainable only through observation and study.  it properly belongs to the realm of analysis, NOT perception.

Not to be overly harsh, but if your goal is to study realistic anatomy, start over from life.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:41:18 pm
I really don't see what you mean.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:24:43 pm
Well, a human is built from bones, then these bones are supported by muscles. TO stick it all together we put it in a bag (called skin) and there's our human. You just put grey blocks next to eachother to create the chest muscles. You added a blob to define the knee etcetera. This can look allright, but does not provide you anatomic knowledge, if you would want to change the pose to a complex position, or have some weird camera angle, you require anatomic knowledge based on where bones are and where joints are as well a how muscles are folded around these.

Offline Dragen

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:20:17 pm
So what do I have anatomically incorrect and how would I fix it?  ???

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:43:36 pm
Skull; Chest muscles; Proportions
The chest muscles are not laying on top of a flat whatever, they shape the chest, so shade them as round shapes sticking out of a smooth surface, not as separate blobs.

The skulls; just google a skull and see for yourself why IE your eyes are off.

On the proportions your elbow should be at your waist and your fist a slight bit lower (not much at all). Also your lower legs somehow appear short to me.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 04:15:43 am
my point is that you can't fix this drawing to be anatomically correct, because there's nothing but symbols here.  not smiley-face symbols, but not much better in terms of naturalism.  you need to start over completely and actually draw the forms of a human being if you want it to look like the forms of a human being.

basically, you've got no anatomy to fix.  i can't tell you how to improve the human anatomy of this form any more than i could tell you how to improve the human anatomy of a grapefruit.

I realize that this sounds rough, but this is a fundamental issue that must be resolved if you intend to pursue anatomical studies.  Certain things must be recognized before you can learn anything, and one of the first of those must be that this shape you've made has little or nothing to do with a person and everything to do with your built up cognition of natural and media symbols. 

Are you 15? 20?  imagine letting a knife rust for over a decade and then trying to cut anything with it as though it is new.  You won't.  In the same way, you have a lifetimes worth of perceptions that have to be destroyed or at least repressed before you can relearn what the body is.

I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 05:55:03 am
Yes. Your problem on this stage is not anatomy, it is basic rendering of various geometric shapes. I'd start there.